450 Gallon Starphire Aquarium (AGE Build)

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much debating and research, we have finally decided on a tank size for our office lobby. The tank will be open and viewable on 3 sides. Dimensions > 96" x 31½" x 30½"
I wanted to go reef, but was overruled by the boss. Aggressive tank, it is.

EDIT: This will be a REEF TANK, not an aggressive tank!

We have received a quote from glasscages for about $3500 for the pre-drilled tank with 3 sides of low-iron glass. Shipping to Houston will be an extra $425.

I will be posting pictures of the space the tank will go very shortly.
Any advice as far as preferred equipment for a tank this size would be well received.

EDIT: After a couple very bad experiences with glasscages, we have been completely refunded. We are in the process of starting a build with AGE.
New dimensions are > 96"L x 36"W x 30"H > Starphire 450 gallons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the image of the entrance to the office:
SiUdKzM.jpg

And here is the interior:
6BUGWVp.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice should be a fun build.
I would contact advanced acrylic for a quote before you comment to GC. just a thought. I got a quote from them today. there closer to TX than TN. I lot lighter to install too :)
have fun with the build.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice should be a fun build.
I would contact advanced acrylic for a quote before you comment to GC. just a thought. I got a quote from them today. there closer to TX than TN. I lot lighter to install too :)
have fun with the build.
Thanks for the tip, I sure will.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone give me an idea of what size sump I should be shooting for on a 390 FOWLR?
Also, to keep cost down a bit, I had the idea to go 50/50 live/dry rock.... thoughts?

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss wanted to stick with glass, despite the price difference. The order to build the aquarium has been placed and paid for. Now we have 3 weeks to build the frame.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the official (computer-aided?) ;) diagram from glasscages for my tank build.
1kOdGBm.jpg

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone give me an idea of what size sump I should be shooting for on a 390 FOWLR?
Also, to keep cost down a bit, I had the idea to go 50/50 live/dry rock.... thoughts?

Something close to 125g would be fine. Personally I dislike the look of tanks with half LR and half dry... I would start with all dry rock and about 2" of live sand. You can help kick off the cycle with some bottled bacteria

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something close to 125g would be fine. Personally I dislike the look of tanks with half LR and half dry... I would start with all dry rock and about 2" of live sand. You can help kick off the cycle with some bottled bacteria
Thanks. Yeah, you're probably right about the look.
Is BRS the best source for dry fiji? I see they have 50lb boxes for $135/ea.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't have experience with their rock, but overall they are very reputable. Pricing on dry rock is usually ~$2-$5 per pound (depending on where you get it from/ how much you get) so they have it priced very well

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also look at marco rocks for rock. I haven't used it but have heard good things
Thanks, im checking their site out now. They have "key largo" dry for $190/50 lbs. dang good price, I think I like the look of fiji a little better though.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been using rock from Reef Cleaners for years. Very porous, clean, and John will work with you to get correct sizes if desired. Can't beat the price either. All their rock is mined from inland locations to protect the ocean reefs.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using rock from Reef Cleaners for years. Very porous, clean, and John will work with you to get correct sizes if desired. Can't beat the price either. All their rock is mined from inland locations to protect the ocean reefs.
Excellent! Best price so far. Not to mention, your build thread is very helpful in my situation :)

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that rock you purchased at reefcleaners the "florida reef" rock? The rock on their website looks different than what's in your office tank build.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that rock you purchased at reefcleaners the "florida reef" rock? The rock on their website looks different than what's in your office tank build.

One and the same. All rock in the office reef was ordered from Reef Cleaners. I did apply generous amounts of putty to make sure the rock didn't move. A few acrylic rods were used to make overhangs as well.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One and the same. All rock in the office reef was ordered from Reef Cleaners. I did apply generous amounts of putty to make sure the rock didn't move. A few acrylic rods were used to make overhangs as well.
Great, thanks again for the information.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We received our tank on Friday and were promptly disappointed.
The glass tops were left rattling around inside the aquarium, unsecured. No surprise, they were all shattered.
At this point I called glasscages and let them know I received a damaged shipment. Without hesitation or asking me for any information, the woman said I needed to go to home depot and have them cut me some new pieces to size...... o_O
Next, we finally get the aquarium unwrapped and we see the worst part: the peninsula end panel was not low-iron glass as requested. Further inspection revealed that glasscages made the overflow side (the side that will be covered by a wall) with low-iron glass instead of the peninsula end. Both panels on the overflow side are made with low iron ;Facepalm

Finally, in an apparent attempt to cover their tracks, they placed a little "low-iron glass" sticker on the panel that is clearly not low iron glass.

I am kicking myself for not doing more research on glasscages. A quick search reveals they are notoriously bad at customer service. My boss is kind of ticked at me, rightfully so.

Here's a picture of the ill-fated build in our warehouse:
hEnSxPz.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back