Spears GATE VALVE Install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea Max E260. I want to replace the return down tube valve with a Spears gate valve. Has anyone done this and can you tell me what parts I need. Size of valve and unions. What do you use for glue? Thanks

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea Max E260. I want to replace the return down tube valve with a Spears gate valve. Has anyone done this and can you tell me what parts I need. Size of valve and unions. What do you use for glue? Thanks
it is very easy, just like replacing a piece of pipe. just purchase the gate valve to match your existing piping, measure the gate valve assembled so you can see how much pipe to cut out (remember pipe goies into the sleeve on both ends) and just use standard pvc primer and glue. let us know if you need more detail and we can supply that to you

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what size I need and regular PVC glue is safe to use?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gate valve size is listed the same way as your pvc pipe size... for example, 1" gate valve will fit 1" diameter pvc.

Regular pvc primer and glue work fine.

Also, you will want the "slip" style gate valve vs the "threaded" type when gluing with pvc pipe.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to remove the handle prior to gluing, in case if pvc glue leaks inside and damages the actual valve pieces. The whole valve assembly comes out leaving you with the base of the valve, easy to glue.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic from my build, - with the valve piece removed. While at it, you may want to lubricate the oring.

05A47666-2738-42CD-89EB-128E409766E4.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is recommended to adjust the drain flow? Ball or Gate valve. It looks like I'm going to have to replace the union and pipe. There is no way to cut the original red sea valve out. I'm not sure what I need for a union to connect to the pipe on the sump on the back of the tank.

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to replace whole thing as Redsea is metric. Unless you find some adaptors.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. I thought a lot of people have modified this valve. I guess not. I'm not going to bother. I'll just put up with the touchy valve that came with it. I wouldn't mind replacing the whole pipe but I just don't know what size connector to get.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking one way around it would be open up the red sea valve all the way and cut the pipe below it and install a more precise gate valve.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the Redsea valve being a pain in butt. Lemme know what you come up with I’m curious as well.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield does not use the o ring on the NPT fitting. It it needed?

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is recommended to adjust the drain flow? Ball or Gate valve. It looks like I'm going to have to replace the union and pipe. There is no way to cut the original red sea valve out. I'm not sure what I need for a union to connect to the pipe on the sump on the back of the tank.

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

Check out my build below for details on how/what to do.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadfield does not use the o ring on the NPT fitting. It it needed?
I don't have that tank but if the fittings are really NPT than there shouldn't be an o ring. They are tapered and the o ring really wouldn't do anything.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like gate valves but i found using the ball valve union works just as well and gives you an additional place to take the piping apart if needed. also as mentioned you do not need a o-ring and if you use the unions i would just glue everything but that is y opinion on that as i hate leaks..
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.57.29 AM.png

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the two parts I'm talking about with the o ring they are threaded together not glued.

MarkSativa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't you do the over flow pipe too?
This is just a video that explained it better than typing it all out. I plan on doing something similar, but I'm not ready yet. I bought my max E260 used. A lot of the equipment was missing. So I've had to contact Red Sea and had to order some stuff. I do have water in it now though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back