Spears gate valve

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has replaced there worthless valve on a reefer 250 g2. I want to replace it with a spears gate valve. I’m just not sure on the size if it’s 1” or 3/4. Tired of all the wasted time trying to get everthing to level out, just to wake up to a drained ato.
Thanks!

IMG_2881.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the issue with your gate valve? I've had no issues with mine in the 8 months the system has been running. Have you cleaned it if it's been running long?

Believe it is metric, found this posted on gta aquaria:

"to do 250 redsea metric pipe to standard pipe, the only one special part you will need to find is either 1 of 3/4" male to slip, or 32mm x 1" pvc adapter or 32mm x 1" transition union to convert to standard pipes"

OP
OP
OctaviusBrine

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the issue with your gate valve? I've had no issues with mine in the 8 months the system has been running. Have you cleaned it if it's been running long?

"to do 250 redsea metric pipe to standard pipe, the only one special part you will need to find is either 1 of 3/4" male to slip, or 32mm x 1" pvc adapter or 32mm x 1" transition union to convert to standard pipes"

I have had it running for almost 2 years now. I’ve cleaned the valve multiple times over the year. took out my bubble trap checked my baffles. just give it time you’ll see my pain.
Thanks for the info.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have a similar issue. Rather new system running since mid sept and dealt with an issue since then. You set the level, everything is working great then come back and the water level is much lower in the overflow. You correct it to set it back up, and then that causes less water in the sump and the ATO to run. Non stop, every time it’s corrected it happens again.

OP
OP
OctaviusBrine

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar issue. Rather new system running since mid sept and dealt with an issue since then. You set the level, everything is working great then come back and the water level is much lower in the overflow. You correct it to set it back up, and then that causes less water in the sump and the ATO to run. Non stop, every time it’s corrected it happens again.
Oh yeah it’s not gonna get any better either. I would suggest replacing that as well. I’ve literally tried everything else. It’s so frustrating because your salinity will just fluctuate because of it. Not to mention once it starts to overflow down the emergency it just dirties up the sump even more bypassing, my fleece roller, and then the fluctuation throws off your skimmer too. So frustrating.

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah it’s not gonna get any better either. I would suggest replacing that as well. I’ve literally tried everything else. It’s so frustrating because your salinity will just fluctuate because of it. Not to mention once it starts to overflow down the emergency it just dirties up the sump even more bypassing, my fleece roller, and then the fluctuation throws off your skimmer too. So frustrating.
“Improved gate valve” lol

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well guys just an update redsea is replacing the valve. I think I still am going to order parts and just put a gate valve in as I’m not holding my breath with these valves.
Maybe I should call and tell them. Insane for a $2500 brand new tank to be having issues.

OP
OP
OctaviusBrine

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I should call and tell them. Insane for a $2500 brand new tank to be having issues.
Wouldn’t be a bad idea they give you some things to try first. For the money we pay for these tanks they should come with a better valve. Their customer service has been great I can’t deny that. They replaced my motor on my reefmat and communicate pretty fast. Unlike reef octopus. I literally never heard back from them and just went and bought a replacement part.

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with this also on my new 250 G2. I figured out you have to set the water level as high as possible in the overflow. Basically almost trickling down the emergency drain. I’ve had my tank for almost a couple months and I might just replace the valve with the spears valve to see if that fixes it for good. It makes me not want to do water changes because it starts all over again. Hope this helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back