Special Corals ( help )

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK well my girls aren’t special. I’m probably the one being special. The past two days one of my acans have been pretty closed up. Today another one just a single polyp and lastly, my purple hammer/green the front, two heads were big and open today but the back too we’re kind of closed, but for some reason thinking it might be my clown fish because it was perfect yesterday and for those that have seen my previous post about birds nest. I think it’s starting to come back and do better.
IMG_5C21D8E800B3-1.jpeg
IMG_8044.jpeg
IMG_8043.jpeg
IMG_8040.jpeg
IMG_8041.jpeg
IMG_8045.jpeg
IMG_7972.jpeg
IMG_7974.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Two things I see right away- The nitrate needs to get to 20 and I do not favor these corals on the sand as both get irritated from sand on them and its also an area where the light and flow is lowest. Eupyllia- half or below in the tank and acan- third part of tank or below.
feed both mysis shrimp - Not powdered food

OP
OP
ReeferTang44

ReeferTang44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn’t the sand, irritating them then what could it be because most of my levels are pretty similar but I will make an effort and try to move them up a little bit off the sand. If that doesn’t work what do you think it could be just saying that because they’ve been perfectly fine for weeks and weeks before, but for some reason the past two days for the Acan and today only for the hammer

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn’t the sand, irritating them then what could it be because most of my levels are pretty similar but I will make an effort and try to move them up a little bit off the sand. If that doesn’t work what do you think it could be just saying that because they’ve been perfectly fine for weeks and weeks before, but for some reason the past two days for the Acan and today only for the hammer
If it's just been a short time, don't change anything! Corals, especially the fleshy ones, will change appearance for any number of reasons. If your clown has been bothering them, that might be the answer - they will likely adjust to his attention in time. It could also be a bit of sand irritating them, they could be ready to split, or poop, or... you get the picture. If they have looked good for weeks, give it a couple more days before you try to fix something that may not be broken. :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just been a short time, don't change anything! Corals, especially the fleshy ones, will change appearance for any number of reasons. If your clown has been bothering them, that might be the answer - they will likely adjust to his attention in time. It could also be a bit of sand irritating them, they could be ready to split, or poop, or... you get the picture. If they have looked good for weeks, give it a couple more days before you try to fix something that may not be broken. :)
Oh, and your nitrate level is fine.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what was said, I have lot more success having Alk at 7.5-8 range. I don’t know why because this works even when I have elevated NO3 and PO4.

I had good luck with this coral food:
1695957921523.jpeg

As a bonus fish love it, so no waist.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is phosphate actually .9 or is it .09? If .9 thats a huge problem i keep mine between .05 to .1 also alk is pretty high as well. What salt do you use? I see that alk is high at 11 i tend to stay around 8.6 Mag is low try and bring it ip to 1350 and i would also remove off of the samd bed the hammer into higher light moderate flow....the acans can be placed in the same spectrum as the new location of the hammer when bringing up with similar flow....

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is phosphate actually .9 or is it .09? If .9 thats a huge problem i keep mine between .05 to .1 also alk is pretty high as well. What salt do you use? I see that alk is high at 11 i tend to stay around 8.6 Mag is low try and bring it ip to 1350 and i would also remove off of the samd bed the hammer into higher light moderate flow....the acans can be placed in the same spectrum as the new location of the hammer when bringing up with similar flow....
My tank ran fine at phos over 1.0 and nitrates over 70. Since the coral JUST started to retract, it's not the best idea to start changing things that may not even be an issue.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing you could check. In my tank I noticed my Acan’s are magnet for the so called free/bonus coral called Aiptasia.

That so called bonus coral has killed more corals that I like to admit. Six years in and I am still dealing with the so called bonus, it just keeps on giving….

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing you could check. In my tank I noticed my Acan’s are magnet for the so called free/bonus coral called Aiptasia.

That so called bonus coral has killed more corals that I like to admit. Six years in and I am still dealing with the so called bonus, it just keeps on giving….
Aiptasia is an anemone, not a coral.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%

Back