Special quarantine needs for wrasses?

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 scissortails, a yellow corris, and yellow banded possum in quarantine.
Are there any special needs or quarantine variations for the wrasses i may have missed/overlooked?

i have a bowl of sand, and lots of pvc hiding places. Copper increased slowly to 2.5 once i start, and metro and prazi after the water change when done copper?
I’ve done plenty of quarantining, just not wrasses

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are there any special needs or quarantine variations for the wrasses i may have missed/overlooked?

i have a bowl of sand, and lots of pvc hiding places. Copper increased slowly to 2.5 once i start, and metro and prazi after the water change when done copper?
wrasses are not big fans of being in quarantine settings. Because they rarely get ich, its best to start with PraziPro treatment with two treatments, 8 days apart with a water change Day nine.
Thereafter, if you wish to do copper, dose at 2.0 for 21-30 days using coppersafe and monitor with hanna brand copper kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrasses are not bif fans of being in quarantine settinfs. Because they rarely get ich, its best to start with PraziPro treatment with two treatments, 8 days apart with a water change Day nine.
Thereafter, if you wish to do copper, dose at 2.0 for 21-30 days using coppersafe and monitor with hanna brand copper kit
I will be using copperpower with hanna checker. I usually do copper first

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make sure the sand you are using is inert, not calcium-based.

"Increasing copper slowly" is usually a mistake, it can allow disease to gain a foothold and then it is tougher to deal with. You need to dose it accurately, and that means adding partial doses and edging up to the full treatment level in a day or so. I've heard people taking 5 days or more to reach full copper, and that is always a mistake. It is old information, based on using ionic copper.

You will hear that wrasses are sensitive to praziquantel. That isn't quite true, they are sensitive to the lower oxygen levels when bacteria begins to break down the prazi in the water (prazipro is even worse in that regard). Be sure to have very good aeration in a tank when dosing prazi.

Skip the metro unless you have specific signs of internal protozoans. It is otherwise redundant to copper.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back