Species of coral rarely seen in the hobby?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I can keep acros and Indo elegance with succes along with other hard coral. I think people are confused. I don’t want a nps coral, nor a rare color morph. Simply a coral that is rarely seen in the hobby. Lik Florida zoantheds. They are everywhere on reefs, but nowhere in the hobby, despite the beautiful colors. I have kept them successfully and love as much light as high light acros. They are a nice coral to fill in blank space high up. They also don’t grow to quick either so it won’t invade a tank. So if anyone knows of a coral rare in this hobby (I don’t care if it is common on the reefs) please let me know. Thank you all for the responses so far!

Florida zoas are in the hobby. KP aquatics and other collector's in Florida carry them.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most NPS corals require more than one feeding a week and most more than once a day. If not they slowly starve if only receiving partial nutrition. May take 6 month maybe a year but they will slowly die. Some like blueberry gorgonia need feeding almost every hour. Suncorals and dendros may get away with once a week feedings and a few others.

I would like to see a photo of this area of nps corals that are fed once a week.
I think you misunderstood what I said. It is in the wild so they get food naturally consistently. I just feed them with reef roofs for fun! It is not their only food source. They are wild corals and get wild food!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can keep acros and Indo elegance with succes along with other hard coral. I think people are confused. I don’t want a nps coral, nor a rare color morph. Simply a coral that is rarely seen in the hobby. Lik Florida zoantheds. They are everywhere on reefs, but nowhere in the hobby, despite the beautiful colors. I have kept them successfully and love as much light as high light acros. They are a nice coral to fill in blank space high up. They also don’t grow to quick either so it won’t invade a tank. So if anyone knows of a coral rare in this hobby (I don’t care if it is common on the reefs) please let me know. Thank you all for the responses so far!
Lol Florida zoas are well common here in Florida. All you gotta do is get a sw fishing license and collect a few... there not all that great which is why most don’t want em.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida zoas are in the hobby. KP aquatics and other collector's in Florida carry them.

Only one of them is shallow water. The rest are deep water. Most people’s shallow water Florida zoantheds melt around the two week mark. They don’t give enough light! Light is the key for these zoas. Oh and flow. In the wild they get medium to high flow.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Florida zoas are well common here in Florida. All you gotta do is get a sw fishing license and collect a few... there not all that great which is why most don’t want em.
No need to be rude. I love my Florida zoas. I found a small colony of 4 polyps that are black with a bright yellow dot in the center. I named them sundot zoantheds. I also have some nice fluorescent bright green zoas. Which I named that morph minty zoas. Don’t make fun of my names. I’m only in middle school after all.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some rare stuff you don’t see much these days anymore.

OG purple monster acro
ORA Chips
ORA Bellina
WWC Pink Duster
Those are rare color morphs of acros. I am looking for an uncommon coral like in this picture.

Attachments

• 871B0AC6-6DBC-4730-942C-C8F183AC671D.png
    871B0AC6-6DBC-4730-942C-C8F183AC671D.png
    906.7 KB · Views: 157

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are rare color morphs of acros. I am looking for an uncommon coral like in this picture.
Not all and if you did research on them and knows their story you would understand just how incredibly rare they are to find in the hobby. Just sayin

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subtropic Reefer can I see a pic of the black Zoas???? I’d love to see them. I’d drive to come get some if they are black
I’ll get a picture at night when more blue lights are on. Hopefully they are open. In white light they are an almost black purple with green yellow spots. They are kind of closed up right now. So I will pm u a pic later. This is them currently:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 139

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused. You said early in the thread that you are new to the hobby.

But then you say you have successfully kept Palys, zoas and Indo elegance...

What is successful? 2 years, 3 years, 5 years? Because anything less than a year is not a success.

And you have asked twice about a rare 'cup' coral. A coral that I was selling when I worked in a fish store during high school - 1985 - Not a rare coral, not an expensive coral and a super easy coral to keep.

I make no judgement about you being in middle school. In middle school I had multiple aquariums and already scuba dived on numerous reefs. But let's qualify how much experience and knowledge you do have.

How long have you kept a reef tank? Have you kept the things in your reef tank alive?

The corals which you say you have been successful with are all corals that flourish in really dirty water. The prettiest Zoas I have ever seen came from right where raw sewage was dumped in Indonesia.

A coral that is less common in this hobby is usually because it's more difficult to keep - whether that is keeping it alive during collection, holding, transportation, shipping, wholesaler, shipping, retailer and then finally to your house.

If you want something very few people have -- Take any coral and keep it alive for 15 years :) (I have some corals over 20 years). If you want something that you can say that you have any nobody else has - Well just get a coral and create your own name for it -- Oh, wait you did that with your Zoas. You name them and now your the only one with that coral.

I also say where you said your were successful with acros.... I'd like to see a photo of your tank and see the success you have had with Elegance, Acros and Zoas -- Hopefully you have some pics from when you started your tank, and then as it has grown along with your success.

And so no one thinks I'm just being a cocky jerk -- Here's a pic of my tank - to give some credibility to my questions and criticisms -

Dave B

Attachments

• o2many 400g FTS reef March 2019 2.jpg
    o2many 400g FTS reef March 2019 2.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused. You said early in the thread that you are new to the hobby.

What is successful? 2 years, 3 years, 5 years? Because anything less than a year is not a success.

And you have asked twice about a rare 'cup' coral. A coral that I was selling when I worked in a fish store during high school - 1985 - Not a rare coral, not an expensive coral and a super easy coral to keep.

I make no judgement about you being in middle school. In middle school I had multiple aquariums and already scuba dived on numerous reefs. But let's qualify how much experience and knowledge you do have.

How long have you kept a reef tank? Have you kept the things in your reef tank alive?

The corals which you say you have been successful with are all corals that flourish in really dirty water. The prettiest Zoas I have ever seen came from right where raw sewage was dumped in Indonesia.

A coral that is less common in this hobby is usually because it's more difficult to keep - whether that is keeping it alive during collection, holding, transportation, shipping, wholesaler, shipping, retailer and then finally to your house.

If you want something very few people have -- Take any coral and keep it alive for 15 years :) (I have some corals over 20 years). If you want something that you can say that you have any nobody else has - Well just get a coral and create your own name for it -- Oh, wait you did that with your Zoas. You name them and now your the only one with that coral.

I also say where you said your were successful with acros.... I'd like to see a photo of your tank and see the success you have had with Elegance, Acros and Zoas -- Hopefully you have some pics from when you started your tank, and then as it has grown along with your success.

And so no one thinks I'm just being a cocky jerk -- Here's a pic of my tank - to give some credibility to my questions and criticisms -

Dave B
My bad. I guess my definition of success was wrong. I have kept the sps alive and not bleached for six months. So to me that meant I had a tank that was ready for more sensitive corals. Looks like I have to wait six more months to say I can successfully keep sps and acros. As for the elegance, I’ve kept him alive for a month. Also as for the cup coral, I thought it was rare because I have never seen one in person before. I really like it so I think I’ll forget about other uncommon corals and just get that green cup coral since I’m pretty sure you or if not you, someone else said it was easy to care for. Also I just finished a build thread for my first tank and am now doing one on my current tank. How do I get a build thread badge? Thankyou and sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dave B
Oh, and nice tank!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I still say sympodium. It's pretty, it's not invasive, it's easy enough to keep, and you don't really see it much. It's not super pricy, either.

You don't need to bump a post after 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still say sympodium. It's pretty, it's not invasive, it's easy enough to keep, and you don't really see it much. It's not super pricy, either.
What does bump mean? I just see people randomly say it sometimes.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found sympodium on robbies corals on eBay. Is robbies corals good? Also sympodium is a nice coral. Thanks for the suggestion. Where do u recommend I get it?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if that place is good. Do they have good feedback? Best way to figure out if they're good is to see if they have a lot of good reviews from people who've bought corals from them.

I bought mine at my LFS. You should buy yours at some place that has a decent price (wouldn't go much over $30 for a small frag, I think), and has good reviews. Or on here, if you can find someone selling it.

"Bump" is what you put in a thread to move the thread up. A thread that has just had a post added to it goes to the top of the forum section it's in. Intentionally moving a thread to the top of a section by making a post that has no other purpose than to move the thread to the top, is called bumping. It should pretty much always be reserved just for sales threads (but only as commonly as is allowed in that area), or for threads with unanswered questions, in hopes of getting more replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back