Species of coral rarely seen in the hobby?

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots haters on this thread already. newsflash...all your corals are better off in the ocean. Dudes just making convo, this whole forum is a learning experience bra
Couldn't agree more. This entire hobby is a learning experience. Imo if you consider yourself an expert in coral your probably not cause anyone who's been doing this for some time knows theres no right way to do things.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porites are also not too common in the trade but extremely common in the wild.
Mustard hill porites didnt do so hot but it's coming back so I'm probably gonna frag it up and see if I can get it growing again. I added this when my tank wasnt stable enough and realized it was growing back recently so...

Attachments

• 20201019_224912.jpg
    20201019_224912.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mustard hill porites didnt do so hot but it's coming back so I'm probably gonna frag it up and see if I can get it growing again. I added this when my tank wasnt stable enough and realized it was growing back recently so...
aren’t mustard hill potties Caribbean stony? That’s illegal. Unless there is a pacific variety I am unaware of?

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"It is illegal to harvest it in the United States and most of the Caribbean"
keyword is harvest and most

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, Caribbean stony corals are illegal to collect, unless you're collecting your live rock that you placed as dry rock and a stony coral happens to be on it. I have a starlet coral because it came in on my live rock. Not flashy, but neat. I don't know if they're legal to sell, but it's legal to sell live rock that happens to have a starlet coral on it.

Florida allows zoas to be collected, in small numbers, with a permit. Several of those "we go out and catch you stuff" outfits, like KP Aquatics, sell Floridian zoas.

OP
OP
Subtropic Reefer

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, Caribbean stony corals are illegal to collect, unless you're collecting your live rock that you placed as dry rock and a stony coral happens to be on it. I have a starlet coral because it came in on my live rock. Not flashy, but neat. I don't know if they're legal to sell, but it's legal to sell live rock that happens to have a starlet coral on it.

Florida allows zoas to be collected, in small numbers, with a permit. Several of those "we go out and catch you stuff" outfits, like KP Aquatics, sell Floridian zoas.
Yes but you need a land lease with the government to put live rock and you have to have a permit to do that. For soft coral, u just need a fishing liscence.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw anyone know if more of that purple porites ?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about wire/corkscrew corals (Cirrhipathes)? Those are certainly very rare and unusual in the hobby. Looks like a drunk gorgonian, but isn't. Also probably NPS though.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I read correctly some corkscrews may be photosynthetic but not many.

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 2 varieties of Turbinaria, purple skin with small yellow polyps aka la laker and the large polyp green shown earlier. They have been pretty hardy for me and slow to medium growth rates. Stable alk and calc are a benefit being a stony coral. They are in the background of the photo.

20201213_212755.jpg

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that Turbinaria may be one of the more common odd balls out there so there's likey a good chance you'll find it.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
come to think of something should we also add in particular yellow corals to the list they also seem to be fairly uncommon . i would like to see the recovery of your mustard hill porites

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back