Specific Gravity vs Density Question

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem that the conductivity of the probe is sensitive to temp as temp is required to calibrate it.

Yes, for sure temp is needed to get the proper conductivity, which must always be corrected to the equivalent conductivity at 25 deg C. All conductivity measurements make this correction.

But my question is the density conversion. Is it supposed to be the density at the temperature measured, or the density at, say, a fixed 20 deg C or some such thing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I use conductivity, I should be targeting roughly 51 for an sg of 1.025...

Why do you want to target that level? It's fine, but is only 33.7 ppt/PSU.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to target that level? It's fine, but is only 33.7 ppt/PSU.
Good question. I always thought it was good to have a buffer up or down in case of errors. So recommended salinity was always 1.023 - 1.026 sg. Has this changed? Is 35ppt the sweet spot with room up and down?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I always thought it was good to have a buffer up or down in case of errors. So recommended salinity was always 1.023 - 1.026 sg. Has this changed? Is 35ppt the sweet spot with room up and down?

Salinity has a wide range of OK, but I've never thought targeting anything but 35 ppt had much justification, except perhaps an LFS trying to save money.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for sure temp is needed to get the proper conductivity, which must always be corrected to the equivalent conductivity at 25 deg C. All conductivity measurements make this correction.

But my question is the density conversion. Is it supposed to be the density at the temperature measured, or the density at, say, a fixed 20 deg C or some such thing.

If it's using a fixed temp, that would, in my opinion, be a large miss/bug with monitoring and controlling your tank.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back