Spectrapure Basic ATO

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Does anyone use/have used the Basic ATO from Spectrapure?
Looks like a simplified version from the UPLC - only one pressure sensor instead of two and no adjustments on the controller.

I'm trying to decide between the SP Basic ATO, Avast ATO or Tunze 3155.

I'm leaning towards the Spectrapure, but not having a backup switch is scary. Does anyone know if you can use a float valve to interrupt flow on the peristaltic pumps as a backup? Or is the tubing going burst?

The Avast has the optional float valve, and turns out to be the cheapest option with an Aqualifter, but haven't heard any new experience with those since a long time.

The Tunze is tried and true, but I'm not a fan of the eye sensor - not convinced that it's worth the $200.

Let me know your thoughts!

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a controller?

I do not, and don't intend to buy one any time soon... I have a DIY wifi module to check on temperature and water level on my phone that has an alarm, and that's it.

I thought in plugging the ATO on a wifi plug (like the one below), and program it to run only twice a day for 30 minutes (like on a timer). That and a backup float valve should be failproof - please let me know if I'm missing something. Also my ATO reservoir is only 5g, which fits on my sump - would be in trouble if the power went out after the ATO failing and pumping the 5 gallon though - the backflow plus the 5 gallon would exceed my sump's capacity

SmartSelect_20181230-180907_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a controller, if you want failsafes, then the 3155 is your best option.

My only problem with the 3155 is the pump noise. Can I run it on a timer, so it only works twice a day?

That sounds like a waste, though

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a controller, if you want failsafes, then the 3155 is your best option.

Wouldn't having the float valve and timer on the Spectrapure or Avast create the same safety features from the 3155?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind the noise. In an enclosed cabinet, the pump’s hum lets me know it’s working. When it triggers, it only runs for a short while anyway, depending upon your return chamber size.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float valve on the Spectrapure won’t work as the pressure generated from a peristaltic pump may burst the lines if closed off by a mechanical float strip.

Although I love Avast gear, where the mechanical float switch is located (on the same magnet as the pressure tube) you run into siphon problems due to the level where the float switch is located relative to the water height in your ATO reservoir.

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Float valve on the Spectrapure won’t work as the pressure generated from a peristaltic pump may burst the lines if closed off by a mechanical float strip.

Although I love Avast gear, where the mechanical float switch is located (on the same magnet as the pressure tube) you run into siphon problems due to the level where the float switch is located relative to the water height in your ATO reservoir.

That's exactly what I was looking for when I created this post - I had the feeling I was overlooking something on my plan... very interesting, thank you!

Even if I were to separate the pressure sensor from the float valve, I don't think I will be able to locate it in a way to effectively to stop siphoning and stop flow before too late.

I could plug the SP/Avast on a float switch from autotopoff.com and use it as backup, but now I'm at the UPLC cost but more sketchy.

Seems like I will admit defeat and go with the Tunze - will just add a timer so it doesn't run during the night.

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's exactly what I was looking for when I created this post - I had the feeling I was overlooking something on my plan... very interesting, thank you!

Even if I were to separate the pressure sensor from the float valve, I don't think I will be able to locate it in a way to effectively to stop siphoning and stop flow before too late.

I could plug the SP/Avast on a float switch from autotopoff.com and use it as backup, but now I'm at the UPLC cost but more sketchy.

Seems like I will admit defeat and go with the Tunze - will just add a timer so it doesn't run during the night.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just note, that when the 3155 gets power cycled, the unit will auto fill for 15 seconds when power is restored, regardless of where the water level is relative to the optical sensor and backup float.

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just note, that when the 3155 gets power cycled, the unit will auto fill for 15 seconds when power is restored, regardless of where the water level is relative to the optical sensor and backup float.

That should be completely fine after 8h turned off, about 1/4 of a gallon will have evaporated. Hopefully 15s isn't enough to trigger the float switch. If it is, I will just increase the off time so more water evaporates. Maybe I should just get used to the pump noise

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back