Spend my money!Help me upgrade lighting!

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 6: Buy a Agrobrite 4ft. 8x bulb T5HO horticulture fixture on Amazon and load with ATI bulbs. Agrobrite has individual reflectors, looks nice, well reviewed and a fraction of the cost of ATI or other hobby fixtures.
Option 7: Do nothing. Be at peace with your tank.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll, my thought process was blend, decreased shadowing, more spread. I don’t have the luxury of raising the lights up so I got to thinking of going back to halides, but I don’t see that as an upgrade. Then I thought of adding supplemental pucks to add to the blend of the Radions. Finally the G4s are supposed to have improved spread through the new lenses.

I recently saw a video speech by Jason Fox who essentially uses reefbrite strips with actinic T5s. But that’s no fun.

Not changing just to change. Thank you for your input. Differing perspectives is why I posted. Not the “which is better debate”.

I had not considered the AP700s, or Orpheks, will give them a look and presumptively prepare for sticker shock.

Ok good.

Since you're poo-poo'ing T5's as no fun we can rule that out.

Halide is the opposite direction of what you're after, just like the Radions....so rule them out.

The obvious way to get better spread is to spread out the emitters.

Other "solutions" are just trying not to spread the emitters – they are a compromise. Good for shipping, OK for emulating spotlights, bad for spread.

LED strips seem like the obvious solution for you based on the needs/likes/dislikes you have expressed.

Obviously superior spread, superior blending, almost no shading.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
current lighting over standard 4x2x2 120 mixed reef:

2x4 foot T5s along the back-ATI Blue+
2 Gen 2 Radion Pros set at Coral Lab AB setting
2x4 foot T5s along the front ATI Blue+ and Coral+

I’ve contemplated getting rid of the Radions in lieu of going back to halides or forging ahead with LED as improvements come along.

Option 1
Ditch Radions-replace with MH, keep T5
Pros-tried, true
Cons-heat, cost, bulb replacement etc..

Option 2
MH staggered with AI Primes across center row

AI-MH-AI-MH-AI

Pros-best of all worlds
Cons-cost, LEDs superfluous or just super expensive dawn/dusk/moon lights

Option 3
Add AI Primes in between Radions

AI-Radion-AI-Radion-AI

Pros-added blend, less spot lighting?, less shadowing?
Cons-overkill? delusional thought processes?

Option 4

Add another Radion G2Pro so 3 in line just for consistency, programming, spectral, uniformity? Same reasoning as option 3

Option 5

Upgrade 2 G2Pros to 2 G4 Pros with updated lenses and improved spread?

Money is not an object until option 6 which is 3 Radion G4 Pros, same thinking as options 4 & 5, therefore....it’s not an option.

Thoughts?

Thanks!-making myself crazy, comments very welcome at this point!

-Cully

You are all over the place on this lighting thing.

I assume you have a hood?

What are the main goals and what needs do you have? Look at that then evaluate the different options based on how they accomplished your goals and needs the best. Then compare prices, heat, bulbs, or whatever else wasn't one of the primary goals or needs you came up with.

If you go MH do it right. Two biga$$ reflectors, Radium single ended, overdriven ballasts. Supplementation optional.

Have you considered 2-3 Kessil 360s and some T5s? I'm telling you folks, this combo isn't new and there are those that know. The ones that do, know this combo is a sure winner in every way!

OP
OP
Cully

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving the options their due is all. I appreciate the suggestions on options. Yes, there is a hood. Heat, aesthetics, light spill, all factor in.

Perhaps the title is misleading. I’m not some dummy sitting with a big Paypal balance waiting to click “place your order”.

I think my needs are pretty similar to most people keeping a mixed reef. Even spread, reduced shadowing. Grow colorful SPS up high, don’t burn LPS down low, pleasant aesthetics, minimize energy needs.

These are various potential solutions I’ve been noodling with.

This thread has lead me to look at other potential solutions. Ultimately the decisions and reef will be mine. I’m enjoying hearing the input of others and will definitely continue to seek out information available on said fixtures/combos.

Thanks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my needs are pretty similar to most people keeping a mixed reef.

I think everyone thinks this....that they are completely normal and want what others want.

In reality you're a lot different from me....and everyone else. Recognizing that will actually make choosing your light a lot more straight forward as you'll be choosing based on your own needs rather than needs perceived to be "universal".

For example, I think T5 tanks are kinda ugly and totally unrealistic. I dunno how many corals come from the depth in the ocean where light is that homogenous, but I think it's not many. The marine light environment is the most dynamic on the planet. Shadows, flicker and every other variance of light is at play on most corals in the ocean.

Very true. Very well reasoned. I can even show research. But I don't bring stuff like that up. Because none of that has to mean squat to anyone else! That's all my opinion based on those facts. That's all.

But I know what I like and why – that's the important part. (Just knowing what you like comes first... I don't have much trouble picking lights as a result.

So if you really like T5 hybrid, that's great. But you won't need anyone's input from here to know that. You might need input to know which one has the best features for you, or which one fits your space the best, etc. Does that difference make sense?

So like I said eariler, based on the things that appear to be important to you (not to me; not to some generic standard like popularity), LED strips really make the most sense. Other possible solutions have caveats that strips lack.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same setup, but a different configuration. 2 Mitras LX7 with a blue+ and purple+ in the front and behind the LEDs. Works well, everything grows and the colors are nice. I'm thinking of taking out the T5s and adding my old Photon 48 with all swapped out blue LEDs. I prefer the Mitras LED only look compared to the LED T5.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same footprint as you. Not sure if you have a center brace. I ran three Hydra 52Hd's and I have a center brace. Ran them in different config's and couldn't stand the shadow from the brace. Eventually sold the third Hydra and supplemented with T5. Consider shadowing effects if you have a brace and choose option 4. I'd either add Led strip lights on both sides of the radion's or stick with the T5's.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one thing to think bout might be, decide how much par you want to deliver on the bottom of the tank.

What's the max you'd consider. 100 or 200 is a good live stock par number number. So 250 at the highest end.

One you pick the bottom par see what the lights you want do at different depths over the tank. (Different lenses t5 etc, penetrate differently. )Esp note the top.

And also rember pucks are a triangle in their coverage so you may (should ) have to consider your aqua scape with spread A big wide t5 spread or my massive BB (and orphek)style light source will cover the whole thing.
Pucks need multiples for coverage. Like two ap700 for example.
But me, if I were forced to buy Kessils , I'd buy six eight or a dozen pucks. Not two or four. I estimated my 55 at four(min) a160's and would prefer six. DEF Not the two 360s , as most would reccomend on that tank.

So you need a light that will give you X par at Y depth+Z coverage =$$$

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m with you on crackin the beer! That oughta help decision making....
Did the beer help? :p

I'll share the 2 options I am considering. Keep in mind the tank I have ordered is 60"x30"x24" so spread is going to be more challenging for me. I also want to get away from a canopy.

I have decided to get the 48" Aquatic Life hybrid T5 fixture where you mount your own LED's. When the widening kit comes out I'll be picking it up.
My LED's will be Apex controlled.

I'm torn on the LED options. First option is 3 Kessil A360W's. I love the aesthetics of the Kessil A360W's since they have almost zero disco ball effect. The T5 supplement will help with spread. The downside is no moonlight feature which I enjoy. That means I need to add the Neptune Lunar Simulator Module on the fixture, also.

The other option is 2 Radion XR30W G4 Pro's. It is a little more expensive but with the moonlight built in it should be a cleaner install. They will have less disco ball effect than my current lighting but more than the Kessils. Another advantage of this option is that if I needed more lighting in the future, I could mount them sideways and add a 3rd unit.

OP
OP
Cully

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beer absolutely helped. I ended up ordering the AP700. My LFS says if I don’t like it, they’ll take it as they were thinking of trying one out.

My T5s are staying anf should help with the PAR levels, shadowing, and blend. I’m probably going to put the slight filter lenses on but I’ll see how it looks 1st.

I’m going to either slide the old G2Pros to the side for moon lights, early dawn, dusk. But may flip them for a cheaper moon solution. I want to see how the coverage of 1 AP700 looks. My tank is standard 120 4x2x2 and I can only reasonably get it about 10-11” off of the water.

Appreciate everyone’s input. Everyone’s tanks, views, schematics, are obviously quite individualized. I don’t expect anyone or everyone to agree with or understand why I’m using what I’m using, but it is what it is. It’s nice to have SO many options but it can create a headache too.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beer absolutely helped. I ended up ordering the AP700. My LFS says if I don’t like it, they’ll take it as they were thinking of trying one out.

Love it!! Mounted low enough so that 100% of the light goes into the tank (usually 4-5") they should have AWESOME reflections in the tank for excellent coral side-lighting and minimal shadows. Hard to imagine the T5's will be needed so make sure you try em solo! :)

Obviously experiment as much as possible, but I can't imagine that the amount of light lost over the rim of the tank at 10-11" would be acceptable.

This is a mock up I did for a 48x24" 120 Gallon with 360W's – you can see at 4" there's heavy coverage from the sides, from several angles. YMMV since your spacing will be different, but you can maybe visualize the differences in those reflections easier looking at this:

48x24_1.png

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In contrast, here's another mockup I did for a 120 Gallon with the two mounted at 12"....spacing here is probably closer to your AP700....16" spacing:

48x20_2KessilHigh.jpg
(click for full size)

You waste all that light over the top and you can see the obvious reduction in reflections inside the tank too.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back