Spiny box puffer has a bad case of swim bladder he can’t swim right stay upside down and keeps doing flips

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tanks! Is that a clown living in a Condy on the first post?
Expert only is used on LA to indicate fish that don’t ship well. Puffers are definitely notorious for stressing easily during shipping, so it’s no surprise they labeled it as that. Most puffers/burfish are hard to get eating at first, but once they start it’s pretty smooth sailing.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not have swim bladder disease. What he has is very common with those puffers. Someone took him out of the water and allowed him to swallow air as he tried to inflate. Those fish were designed to inflate in the water and many times. Almost all times they can't release all the air and they float tail up or upside down.

I am glad he seems fine now but the cure for that is to hold the fish in the water tail up and gently squeeze him. He knows how to get the gas out. It comes out the same way it comes out of us. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Reefcoloorado

Reefcoloorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tanks! Is that a clown living in a Condy on the first post?
Expert only is used on LA to indicate fish that don’t ship well. Puffers are definitely notorious for stressing easily during shipping, so it’s no surprise they labeled it as that. Most puffers/burfish are hard to get eating at first, but once they start it’s pretty smooth sailing.
Thanks! and They host all the pink bubble tips anemone they hate the condy ever time they get close it stings the crap out of them but my Clarki clown in the other tank used to host Condy nems

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Reefcoloorado

Reefcoloorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did not have swim bladder disease. What he has is very common with those puffers. Someone took him out of the water and allowed him to swallow air as he tried to inflate. Those fish were designed to inflate in the water and many times. Almost all times they can't release all the air and they float tail up or upside down.

I am glad he seems fine now but the cure for that is to hold the fish in the water tail up and gently squeeze him. He knows how to get the gas out. It comes out the same way it comes out of us. :rolleyes:
Yup first thing I did was burb him and yea a gas bubble did come flying out but it took many 10
Min of holding him iderwater and rubbing is belly

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back