Spiny box puffer parasite

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the course of the last couple of days, my spiny box puffer seems to have a worm over his eye. Would a freshwater dip help rid him of it? Any other suggestions as to what to do? The tank is a 220 predator FOWLR. There haven’t been any new additions to the tank for about a month. Water parameters are all in check. Any input is appreciated.

18C783EE-0496-47F6-AE93-30B719A3056F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Over the course of the last couple of days, my spiny box puffer seems to have a worm over his eye. Would a freshwater dip help rid him of it? Any other suggestions as to what to do? The tank is a 220 predator FOWLR. There haven’t been any new additions to the tank for about a month. Water parameters are all in check. Any input is appreciated.

18C783EE-0496-47F6-AE93-30B719A3056F.jpeg
In many cases a freshwater dip will force the worm to move off otherwise praziquantel (prazi pro) will work
Add aeration if using prazi as it lowers both oxygen and appetite
Should take about 8 days

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I was hoping a freshwater dip would work. Whatre the chances my other fish may be affected? Everyone seems fine right now. But who knows. Should I lower the salinity to 1.009 for a few days in hopes of “dipping” everyone at once for a prolonged period?

OP
OP
PeytonRex

PeytonRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In many cases a freshwater dip will force the worm to move off otherwise praziquantel (prazi pro) will work
Add aeration if using prazi as it lowers both oxygen and appetite
Should take about 8 days
I did a freshwater dip this evening being sure to match PH and temp to the display tank. Unfortunately, there was no change to my puffer after a 5 minute dip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did a freshwater dip this evening being sure to match PH and temp to the display tank. Unfortunately, there was no change to my puffer after a 5 minute dip.
Next step- praziPro
Treat for 8 days, do water change and one more 8 day treatment

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back