Splitting time in two areas - how to make things work.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am starting at a new job that will require me to live in two locations (two hours away from each other) that alternate every two weeks or so. First off, I currently have an IM 30 Long with mostly soft corals, an anemone, some fish, and various inverts (including two peppermint shrimp and a fire shrimp). Of the fish I own, the only fish I plan on moving around are my two clownfish and a tailspot blenny. I have two plans in mind, one of which is much better than the other:

1) I transport the entire system (possible down grounding to a smaller tank) up and down every two weeks. I sell all the fish except the clowns and blenny

2) I buy a second, smaller tank (13.5 gallons perhaps) and set it up in the other location. My anemone has recently split, so I'd put the smaller of the two in this smaller tank. I sell all my fish except the clowns and blenny. I transport only the clowns every two weeks. The blenny doesn't eat pellets or frozen - it only eats algae so it will be fine without me to feed it. (I would set up an ATO in both tanks). The corals will stay in the 30 gallon with inverts.

My questions are:

1) can anyone give me their opinions on my plans

2) does anyone have better plans

3) will my 30 gallon be ok with just one fish and the inverts, or does it need more fish in it

4) will the 13.5 gallon tank be ok with just the anemone and clownfish, or does it also need another permanent resident? I would of course cycle the tank with a damsel or something that I could remove after adding the clowns.

5) Does anyone have any other bits of advice to share?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back