Sponge lighting

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of lighting should sponges have?
Is there a way to identify if they're photosynthetic or not, ie. color or species?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can generalize them like that. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Most are not photosynthetic.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's too many. Looking for maybe a generalization by color?
@JCM is correct, it is impossible for generalization by color for sponges. There are at least 8,000 extant species, that diversified over a course of 600 million years or so and developed mutualistic relationships with photosymbionts multiple times. Yes that is way too many sponge species, but at the same time, because of the diversity there's really no real link between the capacity for photosynthesis (via their symbionts) and the color of sponges.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to go about it is look at under which conditions they grew in the tank they came from, or if you are buying wild collected ones, looking up the vague ID they came with.

And then first try to recreate that in your tank, even if that means you don't like how it looks in that spot. If that works, you frag it with low risk and you can put those where you like and experiment. If it doesn't work, you have to move it around the tank until you find a spot it likes.

Even more important than amount of light is amount and especially direction of flow imo.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They
Best way to go about it is look at under which conditions they grew in the tank they came from, or if you are buying wild collected ones, looking up the vague ID they came with.

And then first try to recreate that in your tank, even if that means you don't like how it looks in that spot. If that works, you frag it with low risk and you can put those where you like and experiment. If it doesn't work, you have to move it around the tank until you find a spot it likes.

Even more important than amount of light is amount and especially direction of flow imo.
They came on live rock straight from the ocean (gulf of Mexico)

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They

They came on live rock straight from the ocean (gulf of Mexico)
Were they already present or show up from the rock once in your tank for a while? If the latter, then they are happy with how they are now. If the former, can you tell which side of the rock was "up"? And where the sponges are in relation to that?

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they already present or show up from the rock once in your tank for a while? If the latter, then they are happy with how they are now. If the former, can you tell which side of the rock was "up"? And where the sponges are in relation to that?
They were already on the rock. I did try to use what clues I had to put them upright.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any photosynthetic sponges from the Gulf. I have 9 or 10 in my NPS tank. They are of various colors. Light is not necessary. In fact, strong light is bad for them. It causes algae to grow on them. The algae smothers them so that they cannot get proper water flow. Most important is flow. There should be a moderate flow towards them. You will have to feed them microscopic food e.g. phyto. If the tank is relatively new, there isn't much of a chance they they will live. They prefer an older tank. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any photosynthetic sponges from the Gulf. I have 9 or 10 in my NPS tank. They are of various colors. Light is not necessary. In fact, strong light is bad for them. It causes algae to grow on them. The algae smothers them so that they cannot get proper water flow. Most important is flow. There should be a moderate flow towards them. You will have to feed them microscopic food e.g. phyto. If the tank is relatively new, there isn't much of a chance they they will live. They prefer an older tank. Good luck.
Well that's good to know (about no photosynthetic in the gulf)

I bought live rock from 2 places and one seems to be from shallower water and has more macros than sponge so I tried shading the sponges some for now.
Flow seems to be adequate.

I've heard about them liking older tanks but all my rocks are live from the ocean so is that really the same as a "new" tank?
Ammonia is almost gone overnight.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought from both KP Aquatics and Gulf Live Rock recently, lots of sponges. I was able to tell which side of the rock was facing up pretty easily. I kept them oriented the same in my tank.

All the sponges look good so far but it's way too early to tell long term.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good to know (about no photosynthetic in the gulf)

I bought live rock from 2 places and one seems to be from shallower water and has more macros than sponge so I tried shading the sponges some for now.
Flow seems to be adequate.

I've heard about them liking older tanks but all my rocks are live from the ocean so is that really the same as a "new" tank?
Ammonia is almost gone overnight.
Older tank, for me, means several years. My tank is over twenty years old. Daily, I stir up the bottom to get all of the microfauna into the water column that sponges need. You are lucky to get the sponges. There are vendors that sell them for a lot of money.

OP
OP
R

Robb1821i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older tank, for me, means several years. My tank is over twenty years old. Daily, I stir up the bottom to get all of the microfauna into the water column that sponges need. You are lucky to get the sponges. There are vendors that sell them for a lot of money.

I was considering getting the ocean sand as well but I already had some special grade and I like that sand because it can take almost any flow.

I paid like 400 for 40lbs submerged rock so they weren't exactly free lol.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back