Spotbreast angelfish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the spotbreast angelfish (genicanthus melanospilos).

If I got a female will she stay a female? Im unable to find any info on if theres a single one of these angels in the tank if they change from female to male. I like the female colors a lot!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this species, female could change to male when left single or is more dominant than the male. Male cannot change back to full female but can lose a majority of the male color/pattern if there aren’t female around to harass.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Genicanthus females left alone in a tank will typically stay female. G. melanospilos develop beautiful streamers as well.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male isn’t bad either. If you get a second one will almost certainly stay female though.
IMG_3374.jpeg

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male isn’t bad either. If you get a second one will almost certainly stay female though.
IMG_3374.jpeg
Do they do better in pairs? I was reading they are not super aggressive angels, as I want another angel to keep with my regal as they are more shy for angels

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they do better in pairs? I was reading they are not super aggressive angels, as I want another angel to keep with my regal as they are more shy for angels
if kept in a pair in a tank that has more dominate top level fish such as tangs or a certain type of large angels, the male usually will fade in color or pattern unless the tank is big. The regal should be fine with it regardless if it’s a pair or not. They are way different.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They’re great either singly or in pairs.

Aggressiveness is up to the individual, though I’ve never kept melanospilos the ones I’ve seen in other’s tanks have generally been peaceful.

I’ve had a G. semifasciatus pair and both were harmonius, and, a single G. caudovitattus (Indian Ocean Swallowtail), which was somewhat aggressive to other angels (except for my regal angel), but not abusively so.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re great either singly or in pairs.

Aggressiveness is up to the individual, though I’ve never kept melanospilos the ones I’ve seen in other’s tanks have generally been peaceful.

I’ve had a G. semifasciatus pair and both were harmonius, and, a single G. caudovitattus (Indian Ocean Swallowtail), which was somewhat aggressive to other angels (except for my regal angel), but not abusively so.
Good to know! I just dont want my regal bullied. Shes fine with the tangs, my PBT was a butt for the first couple hours but is now fine with her! I love angels one of my favorite saltwater fish

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if kept in a pair in a tank that has more dominate top level fish such as tangs or a certain type of large angels, the male usually will fade in color or pattern unless the tank is big. The regal should be fine with it regardless if it’s a pair or not. They are way different.
Ah yeah Ive got tangs, so would a pair be better?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I just dont want my regal bullied. Shes fine with the tangs, my PBT was a butt for the first couple hours but is now fine with her! I love angels one of my favorite saltwater fish
Try the mirror trick on the tang next time.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.., that depends on your tank size and fish stocking. So other the PBT & regal angel, what other fish?
PBT, yellow, purple, lavender tang, regal angel, clown pair, foxface, male/female blue jaw triggers and a big eye soldier squirrel fish, 125 display with 35 or 40 gallon sump six feet long

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PBT, yellow, purple, lavender tang, regal angel, clown pair, foxface, male/female blue jaw triggers and a big eye soldier squirrel fish, 125 display with 35 or 40 gallon sump six feet long
Plus a gold banded snake eel when it comes. That's my stocking list, I have 3 of the tangs, the regal, foxface and clowns in there right now. I also have a baby chain link moray eel, but havnt seen him in 2 weeks so not sure if he is alive or not

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus a gold banded snake eel when it comes. That's my stocking list, I have 3 of the tangs, the regal, foxface and clowns in there right now. I also have a baby chain link moray eel, but havnt seen him in 2 weeks so not sure if he is alive or not
I think you should save up to get a bigger tank before getting more fish. But if you must get it, just get one female.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading they are not super aggressive angels, as I want another angel to keep with my regal as they are more shy for angels
Most angels will do well with regals as long as the regal is added first IME. I have my regal with a Majestic and a Coral Beauty and they’re all happy with eachother.

Whilst 12 fish doesn’t sound a lot, most of those fish attain a max size of Atleast 7 inches if not more, I’d personally drop some of the tangs, squirrelfish and eel. The tank will then look larger than it actually is whereas if you go for the stocking you want, the tank will look quite small once everyone’s grown out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back