Spray Foam Insulation application and a tank

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have some spray foam insulation applied in my cantina, the outside cold room under my front porch. This room is going to be housing (3) 200 gallon vertical tanks for my mixing station. The insulation vendor states that all occupants should vacate the premises for 24 hours after the foam is applied. This being during the pandemic, vacating the premises is not so easy for humans, dogs, and of course my tank.

I am worried about the impact that the gasses released from the foam curing could have on the tank. The room it is being applied to has a ventilation vent that I am planning to keep with the addition of a damper. The door to the room is insulated as the room is normally considered outside the house, with the vent allowing air exchange and temperatures tracking outside temperatures.

What I am thinking about doing is, adding a ducted inline fan to the existing ventilation vent to exhaust the room air and hopefully all the VOC's that may be released from the curing foam. I 'think' that will lessen the chance of the tank being impacted.

Anyone on here have any experience either with having a modest amount of foam insulation applied with a tank in the vicinity, or have experience doing foam insulation commercially?

Dennis

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some plastic wrap and cover the tank and run an airline outside for fresh air. I had to bug bomb my house early on in reefing and it seemed to be fine. Running carbon during and after would be a good idea. What foam is it specifically? Ask for the SDS

OP
OP
Dennis Cartier

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is '2lb Closed Cell Insulthane Extreme Spray Foam Insulation'. I already have outside air provided to the tank, coming from a different side of the house than the room and vent is. Because the door to the room is already considered an outside door, it has weather stripping to limit air loss, I think that along with the negative pressure of the inline fan should be enough to keep the VOC's from entering the house air.

I also have a Blueair air quality monitor that tracks VOCs. If I see a noticeable rise in VOC measurements, I guess I could tape the door into it's frame at that point of needed.

My HRV vents are just around the corner from the cantina vent, so I will shut it down during the curing period.

Thanks for the suggestion about the SDS.

Dennis

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back