Spring has Sprung - Mowing season!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else enjoy mowing?

Got the mower out for the first time yesterday... Love that first run around the yard:) Only mowed about half, but man, what a beautiful day.

Hey, better than enlarging the impression in my couch cushion :D

SW Corner...

SWFieldHouse.jpg

NW Corner...
NWFieldHouse.jpg

Didn't get to mow around the pond, still a little wet in the low spots, but I did grab a shot of it 'in the raw', so to speak :)

EastPond.jpg

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful land! Kinda similar to my property which is 4 acres of woods, and then a SEVEN acre flat yard to mow twice a month LOL. I also have a body of water like you in a large stream that goes through our property.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine out, gave it a good blade sharpening (3) and took her for a 5 acre outing... felt good. Now to get the garden plowed and planted in the near future

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a body of water like you in a large stream that goes through our property.

Lindley Creek runs through the other side of the place, in the woods. Gets down to a trickle during droughts, but there's always some water there. This time of year, you could launch a canoe here, float all the way to Pomme de Terre lake.

Pond is full of sun perch, bluegill, that sort of thing. Only about a half acre. Nice and deep though, a natural ravine that was dammed off.

Neighbor has a larger pond, full of crappie. I've been transporting some smaller healthy specimens back to my pond for a year or so. Here's hopping :)

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lindley Creek runs through the other side of the place, in the woods. Gets down to a trickle during droughts, but there's always some water there. This time of year, you could launch a canoe here, float all the way to Pomme de Terre lake.

Pond is full of sun perch, bluegill, that sort of thing. Only about a half acre. Nice and deep though, a natural ravine that was dammed off.

Neighbor has a larger pond, full of crappie. I've been transporting some smaller healthy specimens back to my pond for a year or so. Here's hopping :)
Thats Awesome! My stream has a lot of trout and chub, some bass too!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month and a half until I need to mow, but I did plant some snow peas yesterday.

I've noticed recent beaver activity in the backyard river.

The spring peepers have started up as well.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got the mower out for the first time yesterday... Love that first run around the yard:) Only mowed about half, but man, what a beautiful day.

SW Corner...

SWFieldHouse.jpg

NW Corner...
NWFieldHouse.jpg

Didn't get to mow around the pond, still a little wet in the low spots, but I did grab a shot of it 'in the raw', so to speak :)

EastPond.jpg

Beautiful place! What kind of grass do you have? I'm quite a bit south of you and my Zoysia is just starting to green up. Before our move 3 years ago I was mowing 25 of our 30 acres. Now I have 2.1 acres and most of it is wooded. Went from spending hours every week to it taking 20 minutes to mow. Miss the time on my tractor.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I look forward to this day. . . .. Cant say we had a bad winter but a few uh0oh snowfalls but all gone and I cant remember a march whereas we did not have snow covered ground.
I have no problem doing grass , the chirping of birds and butterflies everywhere.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful place! What kind of grass do you have? I'm quite a bit south of you and my Zoysia is just starting to green up. Before our move 3 years ago I was mowing 25 of our 30 acres. Now I have 2.1 acres and most of it is wooded. Went from spending hours every week to it taking 20 minutes to mow. Miss the time on my tractor.
Good question... Missouri field grass... some sort of fescue, I'd assume. Haven't ever had to seed it.

I'm mowing about 9 acres, out of 45 total. Two years ago, it was on a small tractor, with a 5' bush hog. Mowed it 4 or 5 times a year, generally didn't look very good... either too long, or it was covered with a layer of dried, dead clippings.

Two years ago, I bought a good quality commercial grade zero turn. What you see mowed yesterday? That's about 6 acres, took me about two hours, and I was in no hurry :) Probably takes a third of the time it took on my tractor. I'm mowing everything much more often these days. Much faster, even though the deck size is about the same, and it looks so much better this way.

Oh, and more comfortable! My Ferris rides on four wheel coil over shock independent suspension :)

The right equipment makes all the difference!

Ferris.jpg

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mother in law has an acre in Alabama and love riding around on her riding lawn mower when we go and visit. I end up mowing the neighbors yard as well since it is so much fun.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question... Missouri field grass... some sort of fescue, I'd assume. Haven't ever had to seed it.

I'm mowing about 9 acres, out of 45 total. Two years ago, it was on a small tractor, with a 5' bush hog. Mowed it 4 or 5 times a year, generally didn't look very good... either too long, or it was covered with a layer of dried, dead clippings.

Two years ago, I bought a good quality commercial grade zero turn. What you see mowed yesterday? That's about 6 acres, took me about two hours, and I was in no hurry :) Probably takes a third of the time it took on my tractor. I'm mowing everything much more often these days. Much faster, even though the deck size is about the same, and it looks so much better this way.

Oh, and more comfortable! My Ferris rides on four wheel coil over shock independent suspension :)

The right equipment makes all the difference!

Ferris.jpg
Same mower i used for a landscaping company that i used to work for.Very smooth ride over rough terrain.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SW Corner...

SWFieldHouse.jpg

NW Corner...
NWFieldHouse.jpg

EastPond.jpg

SW Corner...

SWFieldHouse.jpg

NW Corner...
NWFieldHouse.jpg

EastPond.jpg
I absolutely love the smell of a spring mow with the wild onion we have in the south. Completly intoxicating and helps me get out of the winter funk. Your land is beautiful! Got the scag out last weekend. Cows out doing there thing as well as the bears! We can finally go out and play without freezing. Totally fine with having to quarantine on 89 acres

3F4DCE9D-103B-412E-A5CD-0732AD03E5FB.png 00DF61D2-207C-42CD-BC1A-EC16DCEB159E.png C15514DD-FDC0-4D63-A9DE-87D59E3864C2.png 893582B9-CAEA-4FF0-A32D-7161EB3EF1A1.png 54271EE3-EAF1-452E-848B-769BA4173917.png

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be back out this afternoon, once office hours are over.
About 4 acres north of the pond to mow... probably can't get south of the pond until it dries out a bit.

Hey, gets me out of the durned house :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back