Springeri Damsel

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get your thoughts on my Springeri Damsel...I added 1 Blue Springeri Damsel February 14 2019 and the fish virtually hides in his cave all day everyday since day 1. He is healthy, fat, no sign of disease, comes out to eat etc. But I hardly see it because it is hidden all day. I have not seen any aggression towards the damsel from anyone. The LFS lady says "it takes them a while to come out of hiding".

When I added the damsel, there was only a Royal Gramma and a Lawnmower Blenny.

Currently in my Red Sea 34 gallon I have a tailspot blenny (sold lawnmower he ate more than I could feed), royal gramma, and 2 clowns.

Does anyone have any experience with Springeri Damsels? Do they tend to hide a lot? Wondering when I can see it swimming in the open if ever?...Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had yellow tail damsels instead (close cousin), but never Springer's. Hiding sounds like strange behavior to me for a damsel.

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had yellow tail damsels instead (close cousin), but never Springer's. Hiding sounds like strange behavior to me for a damsel.
That's what I thought and he is healthy as can be and I've seen no aggression towards him from anyone. Maybe the LFS lady is right. She has a few in their display reef and she said it took them awhile to come out of hiding. Not sure how long "a while" is. Been 6 weeks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never kept this Demsel but several damsels live in holes and defend them.
They do not venture far from their hole.
The Springeri Damsel is considered pretty docile.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a springer, mine is definitely not aggressive and gets pushed around by the other fish, but he doesn't really hide, just swims off. he sleeps in the rockwork, but mostly enjoys hanging by my frag rack. he actually hangs out near the clowns most of the time and they don't seem to mind, the bangaii cardinal on the other hand seems to be firmly in the hates damsels crowd

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have 3 springeri's in my 180 mixed reef for almost 2 years. They are small...and are very shy / timid. They are in a tank with some larger tangs, rabbit and BJT. They have zero aggression towards other fish like a mandarine, clowns and anthias. They also don't quarrel amongst themselves. They are really great little fish...and unlike some of their cousins in the damsel family that can really become terribly aggressive.

Since your tank is so small... my guess is it may spend a lot of time hiding in a couple of favorite spots. If the other fish start encroaching on its hiding spots.... it could get fight a bit for its space. My trio have their spaces where they dart off to hide... and sleep...and are in different parts of the tank.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a few days. But having said that....they are very timid....shy fish. They have a lot of rock and coral to hide in and around. If there is a lot of comotion near the tank....they are hiding. My kids are on spring break and I work from my home office. My youngest daughter was just vacuuming the carpet near the tank. I could see the fish all hide while she was there.... and now that she is gone... I can see the Springeris out and looking for food.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many will have at least a few. I've got five. Always out. I think having a few like minded bro's around emboldens them. Having said that, adding some to an established one might not work so well. Not sure about that though.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a second one for sure. I have found they do much better in pairs. 34g is a pretty small tank for damsels but the springeri seem to be about the most calm of all the damsels so you might be ok. I currently have a dozen Azure in my 210g. They are not quite as calm as the springeri but they don’t cause any issues at all. Some of my favorite fish in the tank

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had one and it was not doing well, it would hide alot. Added 2 more and they definitely hang out in the open more swimming together. Very beautiful fish.

Back