SPS AB+?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking tank. I like how you laid out the corals, should look wonderful once it fills in. How high off the water are your radions? How deep is your tank. I have had my wide lenses on my garage shelf for a year now and always debate putting them in. I'm convinced I have some hot spots because I have certain areas in my tank that no coral survives and bleaches while other spots seem to be sweet spots where any coral placed there does amazing.

i use the RMS mounting kit from ecotech. my tank is 20'' deep. most of my SPS are mid-top section, about 10'' to 4'' from water.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running this program at 70% intensity over my 270G mixed reef...My lighting period is 1130 - 2130, which is a slight modification.
14706922_802731753830_7141507210670343020_o.jpg

Here is an example of the growth I've had with my Red Robin from Battle Corals...Keep in mind I could have probably had a little bit better growth, but my tank was a bit neglected from June - August due to traveling. (6 months growth)

14606245_802729054240_3844885924651638793_n.jpg

All of my coral seems to be pretty happy with the SPS AB+ template.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran it prior to Ecotech even releasing it as SPS AB+.....I always liked the bluer spectrum. I can't figure out how some of you are able to run the intensity so high though. I am running two Gen3 Pros with the wide angle lenses and can't seem to get the intensity much higher than 50% without negative effects on the coral?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other parameters? Do you run a lower nutrient tank?
I used to run a low nutrient tank (0 nitrates and phosphates) with a higher ALK, which I obviously learned the hard way, isn't good. I now run nitrates between 5-10 and phosphates about .003 with a lower ALK (around 8.4). It seems like if I raise my intensity, even a few percentage, I notice the acros starting to bleach. I had hoped my lighting issues were due to my lower parameters but I still seem to have the same issues even with the elevated nutrients. For the people running higher intensities, how much distance is between each light? Maybe since I have two over a 105g, the two lights are closer together and overlapping?

kamikazereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same question here
48x24x20
2 radion g4 pro
I don't know what intensity to use !!!i run at 50% right now
Light on te rms
Coral are sps
From middle to 6 inch under water level if anyone can give me a clue

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 G3 over a 400 G tank. I run them at 50% max over 10 hours. I use the AB + program since it release and it works fine for me. My coloration is one of the best i ever had.
I used to run a low nutrient tank (0 nitrates and phosphates) with a higher ALK, which I obviously learned the hard way, isn't good. I now run nitrates between 5-10 and phosphates about .003 with a lower ALK (around 8.4). It seems like if I raise my intensity, even a few percentage, I notice the acros starting to bleach. I had hoped my lighting issues were due to my lower parameters but I still seem to have the same issues even with the elevated nutrients. For the people running higher intensities, how much distance is between each light? Maybe since I have two over a 105g, the two lights are closer together and overlapping?

with low nutrient you need to decrease the intensity of your lights and decrease the alk. Also i would say that your nitrate/po4 is a little off balance if your po4 is really 0.003 (and not 0.03) then it is a little low. I would like it more around 0.03-0.08 and keep no3 around 5. do you use GFO?

I got the same question here
48x24x20
2 radion g4 pro
I don't know what intensity to use !!!i run at 50% right now
Light on te rms
Coral are sps
From middle to 6 inch under water level if anyone can give me a clue

When you ask a question about light intensity, if you want a good answer you have to give your parameters. In that case po4-no3-alk are very important. Also what distance the lights are from the water?

I use to run 10 G1 at 95 % but i had a hight nutrient tank. Now i can't imagine that intensity with a tank more nutrient balanced. Also G3 are quit a bit stronger.

The best is to start very low (40%) and increase 5 % per week.

kamikazereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is my parameters
No3 5-10 salifert
Po4 0.03 phosphorus hanna
Cal 430 salifert and hanna
Alk 8.3 hanna
Mag 1380 salifert
Light are 8.5 inch over the water
My sps' are mostly between 6 to 9 inch under the water surface

Bottom on the tank is lps acan brain fungia Plate torch gonio and bubble

All my sps are reef raft and Jason fox frag now im starting after 2 month getting them encrust the plug

I rub the ab+ schedule at 50% right now
Can I go up to 70-75 with acclimatstion
Or I leave it at 50

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is my parameters
No3 5-10 salifert
Po4 0.03 phosphorus hanna
Cal 430 salifert and hanna
Alk 8.3 hanna
Mag 1380 salifert
Light are 8.5 inch over the water
My sps' are mostly between 6 to 9 inch under the water surface

Bottom on the tank is lps acan brain fungia Plate torch gonio and bubble

All my sps are reef raft and Jason fox frag now im starting after 2 month getting them encrust the plug

I rub the ab+ schedule at 50% right now
Can I go up to 70-75 with acclimatstion
Or I leave it at 50

you probably can go to 70-75 but maybe you dont need it. You can try to go up over a period of 2-3 months but the best way would be to get a par meter. If you can, aim for 100-150 par at the bottom and 300-350 par for the higher SPS. With those PAR you can grow SPS from the bottom to the top of your tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back