Sps algae attack

Dexter_SA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forr a while now when i break a sps piece or a piece get hurt in some way. That part were the piece broke gets attacked by some form of algae. Or bacteria that resembles dinoflagellates. Looks exactly the same. Now my question is how do i stop this from occuring? And if i just leave it the sps branch just gets eaten away slowly

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remove the offender from the community/tank so that it can't recollect on the debrided areas

without coral flesh to actively exclude, algae takes over. coral flesh is repellant to algae

let's see where else it exists in the tank, post a pic

there's a strong chance in an sps tank your lighting levels drive the algae/everyone always tries to attain max par and that's often a tradeoff.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forr a while now when i break a sps piece or a piece get hurt in some way. That part were the piece broke gets attacked by some form of algae. Or bacteria that resembles dinoflagellates. Looks exactly the same. Now my question is how do i stop this from occuring? And if i just leave it the sps branch just gets eaten away slowly
List tank parameters.
Everything.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown filament growth on the ends of freshly cut sps usually indicates higher phosphates than the coral can handle while healing. It's a good idea to give a quick iodine dip to speed up the process and/or dab a little super glue on the cut. If removal isn't an option we'll I guess you'll need to work on your chemistry.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got probably the same situation, but my frag is not freshly cut tho.

Towards the end is possible to see the algae movement. I tried to brush a bit but it was not able to remove completely.

In my case I found out that Reef roids are high in phosphate and I was feeding weekly other corals with that.

last month when I tested my phosphate was 2.7, obviously high as hell, but this is a dirty water soft tank.
since them I added macros again.

I'm actually trying to give away this frag as it's not a good fit in the group here but.. it's hard to find ppl in my area.

I'll hold up reef roids for a while and see that happens.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back