sps and other coral regrowth after tissue loss

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heya

i moved from my 29g to a 56+13g tank setup, and during the move I lost most of my SPS. (not that surprised about this... I will keep the old tank running, until the new one is stable for future moves). but,
my curious question is, will SPS coral regrow after tissue loss, (complete and partial).

there have been numerous accounts of success from partial loss, where reefers would frag or watch the regrowth from the remaining tissue, but what about complete loss? has anyone recovered their sps from that white skeleton? ive found very few accounts of such, or maybe most reefers just toss the frag out to make space.

in most cases I feel like im at a total loss when i see a white skeleton SPS, however my empty branching frogspawn frag (2 heads) came back to life before my eyes, and is still regrowing even in this is newly setup tank I have. Maybe LPS is just different, and im getting away with this.
Is it worthwhile to keep these SPS frags glued to the rock even if they are white as the moon? I dont mind waiting months if my PC rainbow acro ( and others) will come back to life!

experiences with regrowth from loss, and thoughts?
thanks!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heya

i moved from my 29g to a 56+13g tank setup, and during the move I lost most of my SPS. (not that surprised about this... I will keep the old tank running, until the new one is stable for future moves). but,
my curious question is, will SPS coral regrow after tissue loss, (complete and partial).

there have been numerous accounts of success from partial loss, where reefers would frag or watch the regrowth from the remaining tissue, but what about complete loss? has anyone recovered their sps from that white skeleton? ive found very few accounts of such, or maybe most reefers just toss the frag out to make space.

in most cases I feel like im at a total loss when i see a white skeleton SPS, however my empty branching frogspawn frag (2 heads) came back to life before my eyes, and is still regrowing even in this is newly setup tank I have. Maybe LPS is just different, and im getting away with this.
Is it worthwhile to keep these SPS frags glued to the rock even if they are white as the moon? I dont mind waiting months if my PC rainbow acro ( and others) will come back to life!

experiences with regrowth from loss, and thoughts?
thanks!
Full gain from partial loss definitely happens and isn’t a stretch at all.

I’ve personally never experienced a bounce back after the full stick has turned white. I’d be sure to check for at least someone coloration and/or polyps that remain. If there’s anything then I’d say there’s a chance.

I don’t keep many sps but there may be some that are similar to gonis and fungias. Fungias often recede 100% of their tissue and the bare skeleton will proceed to create seemingly endless fungia babies.

I’d keep the sticks/toss them in the frag tank for a month or two to see what happens.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isnt it possible for the coral tissues to be inside the skeleton, even a small portion should be able to regenerate eventually. im just speculating, it might not have to be surface tissue, sort of why my frogspawn is recovering.

how long have you kept these white sticks that have not regenerated, ive heard up to 12 months to see any progress, some within a few months.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your first scenario, total loss of tissue and polyps, there is zero chance of recovery. Dead is dead. The acro has nothing to rebuild. I've had many acros recover from partial loss. That's common if the stressor is removed.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back