SPS and Radion XR15 Pro

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 cube. It is 24"×24". My rock work is basically a stacked like a volcano and most of the coral are several inches off of the class walls. I do have some lps on the sand bed. My question is, will this lifgt be suitable for SPS with my conditions? I know spread can be a concern as BRS has a recommended coverage of 18"x18" with a max of 24"x24". I think I fit within that recommended coverage.

I wanted some additional thoughts from the veterans. But keep in mind, if this isn't suitable, the XR30 is t in my budget. So alternatives wouldnhave to be other products.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue with the volcano style structure in the center is that the lights most intense, in the center so much of the output will be wasted when configured like that. A low, flat(er) structure would help make the most of what you have in regard to lighting and yes, for SPS dominant, the XR30 would be the better option. Less expensive alternatives may be a couple AI Primes or Kessil A160s if you wanted to stick with a premium manufacturer.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube (24x24x24) and use the xr15. My SPS are doing great! Water movement in my opinion is just as important (maybe more?) than light. I move TONS of water. Probably a lot more than most. I have a MP60, tunze stream, a gyre 1k, and my return pump.

I will say that if my tank had been 1” large in any direction, I would have bought the xr30. But my light is great for everything I’ve ever put in. Softies on the bottom, lps along side and a few inches up. SPS from midway to the top.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue with the volcano style structure in the center is that the lights most intense, in the center so much of the output will be wasted when configured like that. A low, flat(er) structure would help make the most of what you have in regard to lighting and yes, for SPS dominant, the XR30 would be the better option. Less expensive alternatives may be a couple AI Primes or Kessil A160s if you wanted to stick with a premium manufacturer.
What about the a360x?

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 cube (24x24x24) and use the xr15. My SPS are doing great! Water movement in my opinion is just as important (maybe more?) than light. I move TONS of water. Probably a lot more than most. I have a MP60, tunze stream, a gyre 1k, and my return pump.

I will say that if my tank had been 1” large in any direction, I would have bought the xr30. But my light is great for everything I’ve ever put in. Softies on the bottom, lps along side and a few inches up. SPS from midway to the top.
Thanks for the user experience. I agree about the importance of flow. I have two MP10s cranked up plus return. My old SPS tank had crazy flow.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the a360x?

A360 and the XR15 are almost identical in performance. I recommended the pair of lights so you had a bit more flexibility in regard to your rock work (i.e. getting light to the areas that need it vs the top of the rock structure)

nashlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 XR30s over a 24 x 48 inch tank. I added 4 T 4 bulbs to even out the light and decrease shadows.
You probable have the intensity needed with a 15 but I wasn't happy with spread.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Hydra 26 HD compare to the XR15 and Kessil a360x?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back