SPS annoyed! .......

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
My SPS’s have been in my QT tank for roughly a week. (Stylophora + Birdnest)
They initially opened up beautifully and good polyp extension.
I don’t know whether I’ve a lighting issue which I think is the problem!
On my display tank I’ve a Ecotech radion, my frag tank has not got this due to budget. It’s fair to say that the lighting on my frag tank..... is rubbish. It’s a cheap LED light from online.

From yesterday......My corals look annoyed!.... they’re not opening their polyps much at all. My parameters..... I check EVERYDAY as I’ve been slowly bringing up CA,MG and KH. I can’t stick them in the display tank atm because I’ve been having a lot of precipitation and now requires dosing- attempting to stabilise this throughout the week.

In the QT tank parameters
(And currently stable) ...
KH- 9.1
Ca- 420
Mg-1500
Salinity - 1025
Temp 25c

Display tank......
KH- 7.6 (Drops in a week to 6.6)
Ca - 380-390
Mg- 1170
Salinity - 1025
Temp 25c

Hope someone can help me figure
this out
Emma xx

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting in case nobody else does.....but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable sps experts here.....anyway my experience has been to acclimate/qt in "lower" lighting (lower is relative). Hopefully this is a lighting adjustment issue as your params obviously look fine

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting in case nobody else does.....but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable sps experts here.....anyway my experience has been to acclimate/qt in "lower" lighting (lower is relative). Hopefully this is a lighting adjustment issue as your params obviously look fine
Hopefully it is!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all.
My SPS’s have been in my QT tank for roughly a week. (Stylophora + Birdnest)
They initially opened up beautifully and good polyp extension.
I don’t know whether I’ve a lighting issue which I think is the problem!
On my display tank I’ve a Ecotech radion, my frag tank has not got this due to budget. It’s fair to say that the lighting on my frag tank..... is rubbish. It’s a cheap LED light from online.

From yesterday......My corals look annoyed!.... they’re not opening their polyps much at all. My parameters..... I check EVERYDAY as I’ve been slowly bringing up CA,MG and KH. I can’t stick them in the display tank atm because I’ve been having a lot of precipitation and now requires dosing- attempting to stabilise this throughout the week.

In the QT tank parameters
(And currently stable) ...
KH- 9.1
Ca- 420
Mg-1500
Salinity - 1025
Temp 25c

Display tank......
KH- 7.6 (Drops in a week to 6.6)
Ca - 380-390
Mg- 1170
Salinity - 1025
Temp 25c

Hope someone can help me figure
this out
Emma xx

Good chance lighting and flow. Not necessary to QT Corals as you would fish. With the lighting you have for display tank- transfer them over and start at lower third to half of tank in moderate flow under heavy blue lighting and they should perk up

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good chance lighting and flow. Not necessary to QT Corals as you would fish. With the lighting you have for display tank- transfer them over and start at lower third to half of tank in moderate flow under heavy blue lighting and they should perk up
Hi,
I’m going to stop QT coral as I’ve had no real issues (and hopefully want in the future!)
Are the drop in parameters from QT to display going to affect them greatly though today?
Thanks
Emma

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
I’m going to stop QT coral as I’ve had no real issues (and hopefully want in the future!)
Are the drop in parameters from QT to display going to affect them greatly though today?
Thanks
Emma
They can , so do acclimate them to the display tank as if you just got them from a pet store and introduce at low light, not to shock cells with bright lights, then increase little by little

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back