SPS branch became too thick for bone cutter...

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen threads where ppl do this and it works pretty well without moving the rock or shattering the colony. With a sharp like ng chisel, one good pop with a hammer and it should shear the single branch with a little bit of rubble created on either side.

I've never done though.
I’ve done it, my tabling acros are just too wide to properly use bone cutters. The trick is to have someone hold the rock down while you chisel the colony so it doesn’t shake your aquascape :)

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the room to work with, bone saw is another option
104FCE84-9819-4F1D-8D66-A7C131139070.png
104FCE84-9819-4F1D-8D66-A7C131139070.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need either a second set of hands or some kind of bracing under the coral branches to keep the coral from moving while you saw, chisel or pinch off a branch. You need a sea urchin for some natural underwater demolition? Otherwise, the rock drop, but again you need a cushion under the coral and against the glass to deflect the rock and branch splinters as the thing comes apart.

Please make a video, or document your work with pictures. :)

bridge collapse GIF

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have an SPS colony growing on my main rock that is kinda overtaking my tank and over the years the more I trim it the thicker the branches are getting. Now it is to a point where the biggest bone cutter can't even cut through, I can't get the rock out of the tank to use a hammer and chisel on it. Tried the Maxspect coral hand saw but the blade is too thick and it catches and sticks mid sawing.

Any ideas? would something like this work?

1handsaw.jpg
I think you need to invite one of your stronger male friends over who can just cut it with bone cutters and be done with it already.

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have an SPS colony growing on my main rock that is kinda overtaking my tank and over the years the more I trim it the thicker the branches are getting. Now it is to a point where the biggest bone cutter can't even cut through, I can't get the rock out of the tank to use a hammer and chisel on it. Tried the Maxspect coral hand saw but the blade is too thick and it catches and sticks mid sawing.

Any ideas? would something like this work?

1handsaw.jpg
I’ve never had sps big enough that bone cutters wouldn’t work but one idea that might work (might not) is using a set of heavy duty branch cutters like for gardening

Fiskars 28 Inch Bypass Lopper Black/Orange (391461-1003)
To me it seems almost silly but in theory it could work just make sure that there are no oils or grease from shipping

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading from the beginning and immediately thought bolt cutters. I see redfishreef96 suggested the same. Less chance that you would break glass. I would slip something between the sps and the glass to eliminate the possibility of scratching the glass.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back