SPS branch became too thick for bone cutter...

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have an SPS colony growing on my main rock that is kinda overtaking my tank and over the years the more I trim it the thicker the branches are getting. Now it is to a point where the biggest bone cutter can't even cut through, I can't get the rock out of the tank to use a hammer and chisel on it. Tried the Maxspect coral hand saw but the blade is too thick and it catches and sticks mid sawing.

Any ideas? would something like this work?

1handsaw.jpg

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern would be using something in the tank that is not stainless steel but maybe a small set of Barne dehorning tool might work as well.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check into a set of Gigli wires. Used to cut bones and dehorn cattle in vet med.
Didn't even thing about this. I was just thinking something to easily cut but that would work as well if there is enough room to go back and forth in the tank.

OP
OP
jcdeng

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will the Gigli wires or cable saw move the rock structure given the pulling force? or they are sharp so not so much force needed.

OP
OP
jcdeng

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just hammer and chisel that bad boy in the tank. Can we see this monstrosity? My curiosity has been piqued

Here we go, the main issue is the thick branches in front pushing on the front panel, can't clean that area and can't cut those thick branches.

And this is taken a few months ago, now its even bigger and far more reaching.

IMG_7278.jpg

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small hack saw would work fine. I wouldnt be worried about rust since itll be in and out pretty quick. Wire saw will work too but may be difficult to cut with in tank.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go, the main issue is the thick branches in front pushing on the front panel, can't clean that area and can't cut those thick branches.

And this is taken a few months ago, now its even bigger and far more reaching.

IMG_7278.jpg
Wow that is a nice tank. and to answer your question above yes the gigli wire will probably move the rock. Even the Barnes dehorners wont work. I think your best option is the original you posted. Still going to have pressure on the rock as you cut through it.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spitballing here but what about a ratcheting pvc cutters. Obviously you would be destroying the blade but that can be replaced. It might apply enough pressure to break off a branch.
I thought about that too, might be worth a try.

OP
OP
jcdeng

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spitballing here but what about a ratcheting pvc cutters. Obviously you would be destroying the blade but that can be replaced. It might apply enough pressure to break off a branch.
Thought about that too but it seems to require a lot of brute grip strength to work like the bone cutters, which I don't have much, certainly not enough to break some thick sps branches.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have an SPS colony growing on my main rock that is kinda overtaking my tank and over the years the more I trim it the thicker the branches are getting. Now it is to a point where the biggest bone cutter can't even cut through, I can't get the rock out of the tank to use a hammer and chisel on it. Tried the Maxspect coral hand saw but the blade is too thick and it catches and sticks mid sawing.

Any ideas? would something like this work?

1handsaw.jpg
I wouldn't use the fret saw there as it's going to transfer a lot of motion to the coral and you risk breaking it off completely. Id go pruning shears. I've got some that ratchet down from 3"

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just hammer and chisel that bad boy in the tank. Can we see this monstrosity? My curiosity has been piqued

I've seen threads where ppl do this and it works pretty well without moving the rock or shattering the colony. With a sharp like ng chisel, one good pop with a hammer and it should shear the single branch with a little bit of rubble created on either side.

I've never done though.

OP
OP
jcdeng

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen threads where ppl do this and it works pretty well without moving the rock or shattering the colony. With a sharp like ng chisel, one good pop with a hammer and it should shear the single branch with a little bit of rubble created on either side.

I've never done though.
hammer and chisel would be risky since its so close to the glass, one slip can mean 100 gallons of salt water on my floor.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back