SPS Burrowing Worms

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Just noticed my staghorn frag and one of my monti frags have small antennae sticking out from where there used to be polyps. The flesh around the polyps is also now a grayish color. I removed my staghorn frag and clipped the infected branches, re-dipped and had three small red worms fall out of it. I do not think I can perform the same thing to the monti.

Is this something I should completely try to eradicate or just a critter I will have to learn to deal with? The worms in the staghorn had made a pretty sizeable maze inside the coral.

Attached a couple short videos showing what I noticed, not the best quality.

Attachments

• Staghorn Worm.mov
    2.3 MB
  • Monti Worm.mov
    554 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All,
Just noticed my staghorn frag and one of my monti frags have small antennae sticking out from where there used to be polyps. The flesh around the polyps is also now a grayish color. I removed my staghorn frag and clipped the infected branches, re-dipped and had three small red worms fall out of it. I do not think I can perform the same thing to the monti.

Is this something I should completely try to eradicate or just a critter I will have to learn to deal with? The worms in the staghorn had made a pretty sizeable maze inside the coral.

Attached a couple short videos showing what I noticed, not the best quality.
Best under white lighting but I do see what are hydroids and they plant themselves wherever they want. IF and IF you can safely do so, either
Place a small dab of gel superglue on their heads OR Cut their very bottom base and discard.
Safest bet is to aim flow towards them, not at them and they will starve and wither away

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to check this thread out:

OP
OP
BlueFynn_Ian

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best under white lighting but I do see what are hydroids and they plant themselves wherever they want. IF and IF you can safely do so, either
Place a small dab of gel superglue on their heads OR Cut their very bottom base and discard.
Safest bet is to aim flow towards them, not at them and they will starve and wither away
I was able to cut them out from the staghorn, but they seem to be right in the middle of the monti frag, not sure how I would cut the base of them.

Might be able to accomplish glue. If I move more flow onto them wouldn't they just move to a better spot?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was able to cut them out from the staghorn, but they seem to be right in the middle of the monti frag, not sure how I would cut the base of them.

Might be able to accomplish glue. If I move more flow onto them wouldn't they just move to a better spot?
They dont move that easily as they need their tubes.

OP
OP
BlueFynn_Ian

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to check this thread out:

Thank you for the link!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back