SPS Coloration could it be more!!!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a real critique, the colors seem lighter, which can be appeased by having a bit more nitrates, in the 5-10 ppm range is where I like mine.

They seem to be happy and growing successfully and giving you pretty good color but if you're like me and want the best color in my opinion, up your nitrates a bit.

Your strawberry shortcake can have deeper colors like this if you increase nitrates a bit in my opinion. Leave the phosphates where they are.
4acca5a63342878b54fb4dc07b7a702e.jpg

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one other thing could be too much par. I know... Is there really such a think for acros? Well yes, it can sometimes lead to lighter colors on top. When I observe lighter colors overall on the coral, its usually a lower nitrate issue. When I see lighter colors on mainly the top, usually means too much par in my experience.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, it could just simply be your photography skills or photo equipment. Taking pictures with too high of an ISO setting could make corals look washed out too. Its always hard to tell true colors of people's/vendors corals with the range of photography skill, enhanced pictures, different lighting, and gel filters.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was opening this thread looking to see brown corals. Now I may have to close it because I'm mad... :p

OP
OP
Shubz

Shubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly, it could just simply be your photography skills or photo equipment. Taking pictures with too high of an ISO setting could make corals look washed out too. Its always hard to tell true colors of people's/vendors corals with the range of photography skill, enhanced pictures, different lighting, and gel filters.
Yea I’m taking the pics with a iPhone lol

OP
OP
Shubz

Shubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful sticks! Do you mind sharing a fts? Whats your lighting cycle, bulb combo, fixture placement, etc?
I can try to get a full tank shot later...
Lighting cycle is—
9am-10pm ai sols 25% white, 75% royal blue, 75% deep blue
1pm-6pm 4 blue plus t5
2pm-5pm 1 blue plus, 2 purple plus, and 1 coral plus

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have your problem. Very nice. I don't test for nitrates or phosphates. It is what it is. I have a sump and a skimmer. If algae comes up, I have tangs to take care of that issue. I dose calk and alk. I sit on my sofa and enjoy my little piece of the reef. As long as you are happy, then go with it @Shubz

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3rd pic down blue tip, what is it called, i have a colony of it from fiji and can not figure out its name

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing color is hard. Raising or lowering nutrients will make some better, but others worse.... richer vs brighter, saturated vs contrast. If you have all single-color corals, then this is easier, just like if you only had lots of contrasting corals with some white stalks in them.

The best balance for me is tons of high quality light (MH) and N less than 1 and P at about .01... and then raise/lower coral in the tank until the color shines. I can get richer colors from some of the corals if I raise the N and P a bit, but then the contrast in others is more dull or disappears and they get less bright.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back