SPS developing a thick tissue

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my conclusion as well, and reason for such a low dose. I use instant ocean salts since I got a great deal on them. I figure maybe a small dose of trace may help. I'm transitioning to red sea salt but using up what's left before then.
What is the ml amount being dosed daily of each Colors ABCD? I don't recall the bottles mentioning a daily dose amount - we use the colors system at our facility

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosage is based off calcium dosage. 1ml for ever 10ml of RS calcium dosed.

The bottle has additional dosing charts too. But, I don't use RS calcium, I got BRS powders because of cost savings. So I go off the 1ml for every 20ml of calcium supplement dosed.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosage is based off calcium dosage. 1ml for ever 10ml of RS calcium dosed.

The bottle has additional dosing charts too. But, I don't use RS calcium, I got BRS powders because of cost savings. So I go off the 1ml for every 20ml of calcium supplement dosed.
It's 1ml / 20 ppm of calcium added per 25g.

The BRS Powders are also missing the Strontium that are in the Red Sea Calcium Complex, so you would want to check that as well

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KISS
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Not implying stupidity, it's an old acronym that can apply to many facets of life. I have found far more success in simplicity than in fancy packages, wires, and tubes. My tank looks like a newbie tank under the hood, I use a DA Reefkeeper Lite for Pete's sake, lol.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KISS
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
Not implying stupidity, it's an old acronym that can apply to many facets of life. I have found far more success in simplicity than in fancy packages, wires, and tubes. My tank looks like a newbie tank under the hood, I use a DA Reefkeeper Lite for Pete's sake, lol.
Can’t agree more. Good salts, water change simple nutrient export, good stocking list w a heater, skimmer and return pump in the sump Kalk top offs during the over nite hours w esv 2 part manual dosing and their Mg when needed.

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 1ml / 20 ppm of calcium added per 25g.

The BRS Powders are also missing the Strontium that are in the Red Sea Calcium Complex, so you would want to check that as well

I'm dosing 1ml of each trace every 5 days. The 250 is about 50 gallons, so I'm dosing half. Do you think this is a good start for now?

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I heard KISS. Nice!

I would agree with you too. Just trying to automate some things so I can enjoy the tank more. I spend quite a lot of time just looking at my tanks. The dosing helps keep me sane between the two tanks. I can only imagine how much more work it would be when the peninsula is ready for SPS. I e looked into and started considering auto testing but that's $$$. I don't think I'm there yet to need that much detail and control but is a nice idea - love tech. Just finished DIYing a remote start with drone mobile this weekend. I can ask Google assistant to turn it on for me now haha.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First time I heard KISS. Nice!

I would agree with you too. Just trying to automate some things so I can enjoy the tank more. I spend quite a lot of time just looking at my tanks. The dosing helps keep me sane between the two tanks. I can only imagine how much more work it would be when the peninsula is ready for SPS. I e looked into and started considering auto testing but that's $$$. I don't think I'm there yet to need that much detail and control but is a nice idea - love tech. Just finished DIYing a remote start with drone mobile this weekend. I can ask Google assistant to turn it on for me now haha.
I hand dose and top off and test alk daily. Takes few minutes. Not really that much more work and I enjoy it. Keeps me in tune w the system. Old school that way lol. Keeps it stable and me sane from knowing what I need and what’s going in.

OP
OP
Chee-tomorpha

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a few kids in sports so I don't get home until 8-9 most days. Weekends are always busy with friends and family events. So auto dosing is a must to keep parameters as stable as I can keep them.

I do enjoy dosing phyto every morning and feeding frozen foods in the evening when I'm home before 6pm. Those nights are when I get to enjoy the tanks - which is a good and bad thing lol. Gets me investigating stuff. And, since I've reached new milestones of reef keeping, most things are new to me. I appreciate the help. It keeps me in check and hands out of the tank lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup a simple KISS would work loads better here.

Quit dosing all that crap, stick to dosing ALK, CAL, MAG, do regular weekly WC's, or if you like automation, setup daily auto WC's. KISS really does work.

I'm also a firm believer in heavy in, heavy out. Meaning up your bioload, feed your fish heavily, then let your fish feed your corals. Then run some heavy export methods. While residual N & P look great on our test kits, our coral actually prefer ammonia over those residuals. Hence why you need more fish to feed the corals.

FWIW...

Nothing wrong with IO salt, been using it for the better part of 30 years, heck 90% of the tank of the months run on IO. Its the oldest salt on the market for a reason. It just plain works, and is the most consistent from box to box. Just because a salt is more expensive, or from a company that's supposed to be better, doesn't mean it is.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back