SPS dominant 220 gallon, first birthday

phillybean

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 20, 2020
Messages
115
Reaction score
130
Location
Kelowna
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have many people who will think this is as great as I do, but from looking pretty empty to being overfull is a pretty great feeling. Starting to get into a few more "designer" SPS, including finally having my holy grail, a Walt Disney. I need to do some major trimming and likely get rid of the Green Birdsnest all together, but definitely looking forward to year two!

41.png


IMG_3422.jpeg
52.png
 
That looks phenomenal! You have amazing taste in design!!

How did you limit the algae stage during the first year?
 
That looks phenomenal! You have amazing taste in design!!

How did you limit the algae stage during the first year?

Thank you! It was an upgrade from a 90 gallon, so I used mostly existing live rock which I think greatly helped with avoiding the algae stage. I also have a large refugium & UV sterilizer and run a AWC of 3.5 gallons a day. I am currently dealing with a bit of Bryopsis and Cyano, but hopefully nothing that I can't get under control. Another factor that I believe plays a big part, is that the Corals are using the same nutrients that Algae does, given the growth and size of a lot of the colonies, I feel that helps out compete the Algae. Also, given the fact that there are very few areas of rock that are not occupied by coral, there isn't many places for Algae to grow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new