OP
M

mchnbuilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks more like high nutrients and high organics. I think a mixture of aggressive gac and purigen would take care of the organics and possibly cutting back on coral foods.
What makes you think it has high nutrients, if it's the red turf algae that showed up during a phosphate spike back in decDecem and it just hasn't gone, I haven't stressed since I'm upgrading soon with new rock

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you think it has high nutrients
You said your po4 was 0.15 and the fact you said you were having a hard time reducing po4 with gfo, couple that with your feeding regime and the pictures, everything points to high nutrients. Not sure how that could be argued?

OP
OP
M

mchnbuilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said your po4 was 0.15 and the fact you said you were having a hard time reducing po4 with gfo, couple that with your feeding regime and the pictures, everything points to high nutrients. Not sure how that could be argued?
Until I dosed NO3 my nitrates were .25 and that was about a month ago I cut out the product that caused a phos spike. As far as more specifics for feeding I only do 4ml of the erergy, feed only what they eat of strained food, and 1/2 tsp of Roids 2 times weekly, if I don't maintain my NO3 it would drop to virtually zero in a week

OP
OP
M

mchnbuilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I stated it looks worse from the spike I had a while back but it hasn't grown it actually is slowly getting better, if your talking about the turf algae being why it looks high nutrient

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alk can make a coral stn so bad, I always had issues with acros they would be fine for a month and then boom stn but that was because I was running high alk 11.2 and now I’m lowering it I also had high po4 about the same as you and couldn’t get it lower with gfo but now is lower with nopox. I also had better luck with larger pecies and not numbs.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So keep your alk at 8.2 and calc at 450, I know some guys ran there mag a little high about 1450 and they had better luck

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I dosed NO3 my nitrates were .25 and that was about a month ago I cut out the product that caused a phos spike. As far as more specifics for feeding I only do 4ml of the erergy, feed only what they eat of strained food, and 1/2 tsp of Roids 2 times weekly, if I don't maintain my NO3 it would drop to virtually zero in a week
I want to help you through this. This tank can turn around but if any advice given is going to be an issue then i'll have to back off. I just think there are too many elements at play here. If this were a low nutrient tank, then adding aminos, coral foods, carbon dosing would work. But I'm just not seeing it work here. Unless you are happy with algae growing on coral skeleton, then keep doing what you are doing. Otherwise, go back to the basics. Maintain water changes, don't broadcast feed, back off of coral foods, reduce the carbon dosing, don't mess with the lights, just stick with stability.

OP
OP
M

mchnbuilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to help you through this. This tank can turn around but if any advice given is going to be an issue then i'll have to back off. I just think there are too many elements at play here. If this were a low nutrient tank, then adding aminos, coral foods, carbon dosing would work. But I'm just not seeing it work here. Unless you are happy with algae growing on coral skeleton, then keep doing what you are doing. Otherwise, go back to the basics. Maintain water changes, don't broadcast feed, back off of coral foods, reduce the carbon dosing, don't mess with the lights, just stick with stability.
I'm not trying to knock any idea just asking a question to why you thought something sorry if I came off the wrong way

OP
OP
M

mchnbuilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to knock any idea just asking a question to why you thought something sorry if I came off the wrong way
Since it is no longer low nutrient like it was I will cut out coral food and see how it does, as far as rock the reason I am not stressing is I'm going to be breaking the tank down soon anyways the main purpose of this post is to save what SPS I have for the transfer I should have specified that

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is no longer low nutrient like it was I will cut out coral food and see how it does, as far as rock the reason I am not stressing is I'm going to be breaking the tank down soon anyways the main purpose of this post is to save what SPS I have for the transfer I should have specified that
No worries. If by any chance you have remaining sps after the new build is ready, clipping the dead areas off will allow the sps corals to regrow. In fact it will be easier for them to regenerate those clipped areas as opposed to dead skeleton with algae absorbing available nutrients. In the mean time, reducing organics and maintaining water quality should be the focus.

OP
OP
M

mchnbuilt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. If by any chance you have remaining sps after the new build is ready, clipping the dead areas off will allow the sps corals to regrow. In fact it will be easier for them to regenerate those clipped areas as opposed to dead skeleton with algae absorbing available nutrients. In the mean time, reducing organics and maintaining water quality should be the focus.
Yeah I've been clipping the dead stalks periodically I need to do another trim

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some SPS seem to be sensitive to palytoxin, especially Seriatopora.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back