SPS experts, the color of SPS require a certain light intesisty?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS experts, the color of SPS require a certain light intensity?

Outside of tank parameters, color of bulbs, flow, etc...I would like to know if you have found that certain colored SPS require different lighting conditions; bringing out the best color in high,med, or low light, or what lighting conditions a certain acro likes.....

For example: To bring out the best color on my Pearl Berry Acro I have found that:
High Light = Whitish branches with tanish base and a faint hue of purple tips
Med Light = Fluorescing blue branches with purple tips and pinkish body
Low Light = Never tried as I was really happy with Med. Light
So the best color I have found for the Pearl Berry is Med Light.

I just don't think all SPS require high lighting.
Please share your experiences if you have found certain colors need different intensity.

Last edited:

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that my frags are always more colorful then when they grow into colony's. I not sire if anyone else has experinced this but I noticed this on all of them!

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that my frags are always more colorful then when they grow into colony's. I not sire if anyone else has experinced this but I noticed this on all of them!

Even the new growth or tips? The colony itself might lose color from being shaded from the new growth, or overlapping branches.

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the new growth or tips? The colony itself might lose color from being shaded from the new growth, or overlapping branches.

yes I have a large acro colony when it was small it was green with red tips and now that its large ( the size of a small football) the tips are lite pink. it spawned and is growing below it and the green is much brighter and is starting to show nice reds. my pocilaphora has stayed the same green its the size of a softball.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really know about colors but I have gotten ORA strawberry shortcake to grow about halfway down a 75g with a 150w MH mounted about 5" above that side of the tank with no other lighting...

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red planet is mostly red. Hard to tell if it's my high phosphate or the high light. It's in very intense Radium light. Now I want to frag my pearlberry and try it with less light.

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll list some more of mine to maybe help others chime in, or help some that are trying to achieve better colors.

Superman monti
High light = faded blue with brownish red polyps
Med light= A nice blue with more red polyps.
Low light= As long as its getting direct light, and is not shaded (bottom of tank) I have found the color isn't too far off from med. light as long as its getting high flow
Best color I have found= Medium light.
I have mine up high in the tank which is high light, but its off to the side so its not right under the bulbs or getting blasted, so medium intensity.

Blue Tort/or Orgen
High Light= In high light mine is a vibrant purplish blue, very nice color that really stands out.
Medium Light= Just a tad less of the vibrant in color but has green throughout the body, still hold up nicely
Low Light= Pales out and is not as vibrant, kinda loses its purple color and is more blue IMO
Best light= really depends on what colors on this one, but in high lighting it is the most vibrant color and really stands out

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Acros
I have found that almost all purple acros require High light for the best color

Spongodes/confusia
Medium light for a green that looks like the hulk

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tipped tenius/ bottle brush
High light = a nice green/blue body with bright blue tips, so it really needs high light to have the tips accent the coral
Med Light= becomes more of a solid color

Green Slimmer
High light= nice fluorescing green body and polyps
Med. light= still maintains much of its color but overall looks better in high light

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Efflo
High light= White body, green polyps, dull purple tips
Med. light= greener body, green polyps, bright blue/purple tips
Low light = haven't tried but it would probably brown out

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will explain my Purple Monster frags that browned out since they are on the sand bed atm.

It's very possible. I have just always found this to be the case with my acros. I think you should add to the list. You have a beautiful tank!

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most red acros, esp. stags, seem to do well under high light, esp. if there is red spectrum, like 10k bulbs. For example, this is under 10k bulbs:

245797858-L.jpg

I can barely bring the red out in this coral high under a 14k 400 W bulb and certainly don't get green polyps. Ditto with my snipersps red stag, barely red. I do get good color with the Atlantis red cytherea, though, but it is touchy. Much better luck with my pink divaricata and the red planet, but those last 3 are tabling corals, so the "stag" general rule still applies. I'd like to hear other's experiences with abrotanoides -- do you keep the reds or does it fade to green?

Dave

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have observed and read in others threads, it seems red acro's are about the hardest to keep nicely colored.

Too much light = a pinkish color,
med. light = pinkish/red,
low= not a nice color
I really think phosphates play a role in reds. The lower they are the better
"K" spectrum also plays a role like you have mentioned, but I have not been able to play around with red planet or such as I don't have one yet :sad:
About the only thing I can refer to is my retna burn monti, but I don't think its far to compare too

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red planet is mostly red. Hard to tell if it's my high phosphate or the high light. It's in very intense Radium light. Now I want to frag my pearlberry and try it with less light.

this will explain my Purple Monster frags that browned out since they are on the sand bed atm.

Gotta move my efflo down.

Please share what happened if you decide to try a new location.

I'm far from being an expert but thought I would post my own experiences with them, and would love for others to share their experience or findings as well.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share what happened if you decide to try a new location.

I'm far from being an expert but thought I would post my own experiences with them, and would love for others to share their experience or findings as well.
sounds good. I will do that. you know I'm not hesitant on taking pics. :hammer:

OP
OP
Jcr's Reef

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have info they want to share on the subject?

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lime In The Sky (under 250w DE 20K bulbs)

High Light= Best Colors imo... sky blue base neon green polyps
Med Light= same as high as long as it's direct and not obstructed
low= I haven't tried

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back