Sps frags death on new reeftank

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question, how many fish in the tank? Fish can provide coral food.
Also do you feed your corals? LPS take lot longer to show starvation.
Coral food like FM coral dust or Reef Roids or something similar?
NO3/ PO4 alone is not enough.
Also from my experience I found carbon dosing Tropic Marin NP bacto ballance can help to promote bacteria so corals can consume the bacteria. I mean like 0.2ml /100l nothing crazy to control nutrients, just to promote bacteria.

Good luck,

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the issue lies outside the tank? Something the lps could tolerate but acropora/sps could not? Any chance there are plug in air fresheners (or bathroom fresheners, etc) near or in the same building as the tank?

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 8 months old. Started with marko rock. I cant seem to keep sps alive. Can it be a bacterial issue?

Parameters:
Alk: 8
CA: 468
Mg: 1309
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: 0.07

Thank you
Also any chance you have a longer window of parameters? The current tank snapshot won’t help much with this issue

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you have a newer home tightly sealed, pH could be falling at night when everyone is home. High CO2 is the cause. Have a fellow reefer, he had Corals dying. I modified an air pump for him to bring in outside air. Corals are now thriving. Also I hope you don’t have a bunch of Daughters, along with Wife that are on a Hairspray Kick. About killed my tank off. LOL. Glad I’m way past that.

Was the use of an air pump to ensure the feed was getting there? I’m starting to rethink something I did on one of my tanks. I put the airline outside, right below the window it goes into a co2 scrubber (my neighbor and I come within 10 feet of this window with law equipment, thought redundancy) but, I put an air vale on the end of the line, if I close it, it doesn’t really make a difference. Wondering if it is too long of a line, and was wondering about pushing air into the airline from the outside.

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So got my icp test back. Seems salt was the issue, had several/almost all elements way below the desired level. For example iodine was 0.013 mg/l. Frustrating to say the least.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all. So got my icp test back. Seems salt was the issue, had several/almost all elements way below the desired level. For example iodine was 0.013 mg/l. Frustrating to say the least.
Based on a lot of reading about ICP tests, I might consider resending it to a different vendor. Speaking of salt - what is your salinity/SG - I might have missed it.

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on a lot of reading about ICP tests, I might consider resending it to a different vendor. Speaking of salt - what is your salinity/SG - I might have missed it.
I will send anothe one in a week.
Salinity is at 1.026

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am not going to get on the "salt is the problem" bus either.
To be honest me neither, however since i change salts thing are looking alot better. So not sure what to think anymore.
More coraline algae growth. Seems the last sps frags stopped residing.
Nothing conclusive yet just stating the observations.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think @Perry has good results with AF

Yeah, it's crap, don't use it ;)

20231115_152705.jpg

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have preferences and I speak from experiences using both salts. For now I’m partial to AF Reef. @stenopus Did something happen to quality control of their products?
They dont have consistency, parameters are not the same, at least this is what i get as info from customers. Also, I heard, but maybe that is not true that they are importing ingredients from China and probably they are not pure as they should be.

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stenopus K so u are basing this on third party information?
Sometimes yes, to the people that i trust that they have knowledge etc.. today i asked and got this: "Aquaforest is China stuff, only repackaged in Poland. Don't be credulous! They have a superb promotion". And this from the guy who is well known in Poland, but I can tell his name. Personally I am only using blue bucket.

stenopus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes yes, to the people that i trust that they have knowledge etc.. today i asked and got this: "Aquaforest is China stuff, only repackaged in Poland. Don't be credulous! They have a superb promotion". And this from the guy who is well known in Poland, but I can tell his name.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back