Sps frags death on new reeftank

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 8 months old. Started with marko rock. I cant seem to keep sps alive. Can it be a bacterial issue?

Parameters:
Alk: 8
CA: 468
Mg: 1309
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: 0.07

Thank you

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the reply.
Light: 3 ecotech XR30
Flow: 2 vortech MP40 running at 80%
2 gyre XF350 running at 60%

Sending an old pic before the gyres were installed.
IMG_0107.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for the reply.
Light: 3 ecotech XR30
Flow: 2 vortech MP40 running at 80%
2 gyre XF350 running at 60%

Sending an old pic before the gyres were installed.
IMG_0107.jpeg
Interesting.. nice setup! So what exactly is the problem? Do they die in a couple days? Over the course of a couple weeks etc… Bleach out or stn, rtn etc?

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.. nice setup! So what exactly is the problem? Do they die in a couple days? Over the course of a couple weeks etc… Bleach out or stn, rtn etc?
Thank you so much.
So the issue is sps frags stay alive from 2 to 4 weeks then they start to bleach slowly from the bottom up.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of sps are you talking about? If you mean acros, well, even very experienced hobbyists have a hard time keeping acros. Its not easy.

Have you tried monti plates, or digitata's or stellata's? I would suggest these are the easiest sps to start with.

If you keep these alive, then move up to anacropora, such as green globlin or goldenrod, these are easier then acros.

Finally, if you keep all alive, try acros again.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much.
So the issue is sps frags stay alive from 2 to 4 weeks then they start to bleach slowly from the bottom up.
How are you keeping your alk stable? That’s the normal issue with stn..

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of sps are you talking about? If you mean acros, well, even very experienced hobbyists have a hard time keeping acros. Its not easy.

Have you tried monti plates, or digitata's or stellata's? I would suggest these are the easiest sps to start with.

If you keep these alive, then move up to anacropora, such as green globlin or goldenrod, these are easier then acros.

Finally, if you keep all alive, try acros again.
Yes i meant acros, however i also lost a monti

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a newer home tightly sealed, pH could be falling at night when everyone is home. High CO2 is the cause. Have a fellow reefer, he had Corals dying. I modified an air pump for him to bring in outside air. Corals are now thriving. Also I hope you don’t have a bunch of Daughters, along with Wife that are on a Hairspray Kick. About killed my tank off. LOL. Glad I’m way past that.

OP
OP
V

Victor Herrera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a newer home tightly sealed, pH could be falling at night when everyone is home. High CO2 is the cause. Have a fellow reefer, he had Corals dying. I modified an air pump for him to bring in outside air. Corals are now thriving. Also I hope you don’t have a bunch of Daughters, along with Wife that are on a Hairspray Kick. About killed my tank off. LOL. Glad I’m way past that.
PH swings from 8,15 to 8,36

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet its flow and lighting. Those wave makers are not very powerful.
Mp40 isn’t powerful??? They throw some large waves in my 300 lol.. plenty of flow for his tank.. too much if it’s cranked up..XR30 can grow anything also! Those aren’t the issues..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH swings from 8,15 to 8,36
Those are great numbers… hmmmm I’m kind of baffled as you’re doing everything right.. do you do water changes? I could see ya losing a monti as it might have got fried as those xr30 don’t look like much but they can cook some stuff.. how are you light acclimating the new additions? What percentage are you running the radions at and what schedule?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp40 isn’t powerful??? They throw some large waves in my 300 lol.. plenty of flow for his tank.. too much if it’s cranked up..XR30 can grow anything also! Those aren’t the issues..
Absolutely!

Well, I still think it could be immaturity of the tank since the tank is filled only with dry marco rocks.
That means that the tank is not mature enough after 8 months...

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First thing I thought was the XR30.... Light acclimation is very much a thing with acros. You shove one under high intensity light its not used to with different water params and it will nuke them in a day. When adding new corals I will dial down to just blues for a day and slowly bump by 10% over couple weeks back to normal.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I thought was the XR30.... Light acclimation is very much a thing with acros. You shove one under high intensity light its not used to with different water params and it will nuke them in a day. When adding new corals I will dial down to just blues for a day and slowly bump by 10% over couple weeks back to normal.
I have an XR30 over my 20" cube tank and I run AB+ @ 100% intensity all channels 100%.
I did never light acclimate any acro and have not lost one ever since.

So I dont know...

Any stray voltage or something wrong with your RODI?
Not sure... Maybe something is rusty...

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going outside the box here, have you done an ICP test? Is your RODI water at 0 TDS? Maybe something is sneaking in to your tank water when you do water changes that's enough of a issue to slowly kill off the acros.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly what I’m leaning too myself.. I hear what chip is saying about not being mature enough.. I think 8 months is more than enough to grow acros.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back