SPS greying out

  • Thread starter Thread starter magikfly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

magikfly

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
133
Reaction score
92
Location
NL
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been worried about a few SPS greying out. Not STN/RTN, they simply turn grey and stay that way. This has only affected 3 corals until now. The rest are doing fine.
I've only seen this happen in the wild and never in a reef tank.
My N is chronically low so I increased my ATI Nutritions N dosing substantially. No joy
Has anyone dealt successfully with this problem?
Tank param's
Reefer 425 (100g)
PO4 : 0.06
NO3: 1-2
K : 400
KH : 7-8 (in line with TMPro)

07B799E2-90B1-4865-948F-78C6534E515B.jpeg 1D7FD063-111C-4A32-B1E1-6F2B69618FD6.jpeg
 
Looks like tissue loss from the pic, but you say it isn't?
Any chance it's getting shaded by the Monti next to it?
 
Well, in the end the corals end up just as dead. It's just that it's not regular STN/RTN where the tissue lets go of the skeleton. In my case everything just shrivels up, dies and ends up looking like marine mummies. The monti does not shade and even if it did, I'd be looking at healthy albeit white tissue.
 
Did the no3 rise with the “ATI nutritions?” If not, try sodium nitrate. The Planted Tank (website) has a calculator that will get you close to start dosing

Have you performed an ICP type of test to look for any contamination?
 
Have you performed an ICP type of test to look for any contamination?
I was going to ask this too. I had some corals go grey and then start STN, I found I had high TDS coming out of the RODI. Changed that and massive water changes, everything reversed except for one or two pieces that were too far gone.
 
Good point, totally forgot I have that option.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new