Established Garf Bonsai losing color from base

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biff0rz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
The recession is a bit strange tbh with the defined white area and no color fading above. It’s not also like AEFW or bug damage, so that’s why I wonder if bacterial. I also noticed this critter. Is that a chiton? Lastly, I’ve noticed irritation of my acros with digitate hydroids. Other than that, I’m as perplexed as you. Maybe it is indeed shading.

IMG_7449.jpeg
chiton? I think so? I'll snap some pics tonight, but, I have TON of them on the rocks. They usually come out at night and are hard to get off the rock.
 
The recession is a bit strange tbh with the defined white area and no color fading above. It’s not also like AEFW or bug damage, so that’s why I wonder if bacterial. I also noticed this critter. Is that a chiton? Lastly, I’ve noticed irritation of my acros with digitate hydroids. Other than that, I’m as perplexed as you. Maybe it is indeed shading.

IMG_7449.jpeg
Looks like stomatella it’s harmless and good for clean up!
 
Just reading through your description and I have been having similar/same issue over past year. Mainly acros they are growing well, happy and suddenly part of it goes white or all dies.

Anyways I suspect it is something to do with this:

-trace element dosing (reef moonshiners)

I am not doing moonshiners , but have large collection of trace element bottles and the problem started when I tried to get these perfect parameters. They were perfect and detectable by ICP but I keept loosing corals.

I suspect the combination of dosing traces to detectable levels and adding fish and coral foods that also contain trace elements may push some over and leads to this unpredictable behaviour.

I switched to original Balling method and only use TM A and K for traces now (recommended by Randy) and things seem to have improved.
Before that I played with light, flow etc…

Just an opinion, good luck.
 
Just reading through your description and I have been having similar/same issue over past year. Mainly acros they are growing well, happy and suddenly part of it goes white or all dies.

Anyways I suspect it is something to do with this:



I am not doing moonshiners , but have large collection of trace element bottles and the problem started when I tried to get these perfect parameters. They were perfect and detectable by ICP but I keept loosing corals.

I suspect the combination of dosing traces to detectable levels and adding fish and coral foods that also contain trace elements may push some over and leads to this unpredictable behaviour.

I switched to original Balling method and only use TM A and K for traces now (recommended by Randy) and things seem to have improved.
Before that I played with light, flow etc…

Just an opinion, good luck.
I thought about this a bit and honestly, I don't feel like I can agree with you. There are a lot of folks that run RM and do not have this same issue, and similarly, there are those that do not run RM and have a similar issue. Sure, someone can overdose trace and cause issues, but if you're doing any of the popular methods you really won't do any harm to corals. I was having this issue prior to RM as well, if that helps.
 
I was having this issue prior to RM as well, if that helps.
Based on that you can safely assume your issue is not trace element based. I guess adding the trace elements didn’t help either.

I seen corals slowly die from the base when I had low or sinking phosphate. Your PO4 values look reasonable so I don’t think that is an issue.

Loosing acros can be frustrating…
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new