Sps Growth Horizontal

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, first off, sorry for the bad picture from the side of the colony. The picture is taken from the side of the tank and the acro is in the center of the 8ft tank.

Anyone ever have their acros grow sideways instead of up? Is this due too too high of par? It grows super fast, but I'm not the fondest of the growth pattern from the side. My thought is that it is getting too much light, but I want to see what people who are more experienced think.

Thanks for the help in advanced!

PXL_20230927_163858370.jpg PXL_20230927_163718208.jpg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it looks like it’s sad. Haha. Do the pumps crash at that point? You can throw some fish food at that spot and see if the flow pushes down on the acro.

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it looks like it’s sad. Haha. Do the pumps crash at that point? You can throw some fish food at that spot and see if the flow pushes down on the acro.

Good call. It is definitely crashing right there. I was just messing with the flow yesterday to get rid of some dead spots. Unfortunately, I only have the cheap on off pumps, but I am going to pick up some MP40s today to help increase and randomize the flow. Maybe that would help. I thought about fragging the "sad" parts (going to definitely use that now), but I'd hate to make a coral look smaller when I'm still trying to grow out the tank, lol.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. It is definitely crashing right there. I was just messing with the flow yesterday to get rid of some dead spots. Unfortunately, I only have the cheap on off pumps, but I am going to pick up some MP40s today to help increase and randomize the flow. Maybe that would help. I thought about fragging the "sad" parts (going to definitely use that now), but I'd hate to make a coral look smaller when I'm still trying to grow out the tank, lol.
I also was thinking flow.
But, if it is, and you fix it(the flow), I think, it would send shoots up and correct it's self. You wouldn't have to snip it... Unless you wanted to.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more you cut a healthy coral the better it grows.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this just common sense?
More growing edges=more growth.
Coral of the same colony of coarse will grow back together, nothing new here.
I don't understand this video. Was he trying to show breaking coral growth news??

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a ton of crashing flow, and none of my acros grow downward like that.

My money is on small light modules causing irregular growth patterns. How’s your lighting coverage?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this just common sense?
More growing edges=more growth.
Coral of the same colony of coarse will grow back together, nothing new here.
I don't understand this video. Was he trying to show breaking coral growth news??
You knew that you could regrow a slow-growing type of coral from micro frags into the size of a 75-year-old specimen, and act like an adult specimen in terms of spawning in just two years and didn't share it with the class?! :confused-face: What else are you hiding from us?

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a ton of crashing flow, and none of my acros grow downward like that.

My money is on small light modules causing irregular growth patterns. How’s your lighting coverage?
My XR30 is literally right on top of that coral, and it was ramped up to 100%, and has been at 100% for 10 months now.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You knew that you could regrow a slow-growing type of coral from micro frags into the size of a 75-year-old specimen, and act like an adult specimen in terms of spawning in just two years and didn't share it with the class?! :confused-face: What else are you hiding from us?

Yes.
People have been placing multiple microfags on the same plug for a pretty long while now to get exponential growth into a mini colony. I'm not sure how long but it's been probably at least 10 years.
I see your video is from 2 years ago that you posted.

A very quick search yielded this result here. And Dana riddle commented on the thread that he's known about it for decades.
Thread 'Fragging SPS = Faster Growth???' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fragging-sps-faster-growth.516356/

Here's a paper about it from 2015.

Last edited:

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
People have been placing multiple microfags on the same plug for a pretty long while now to get exponential growth into a mini colony. I'm not sure how long but it's been probably at least 10 years.
I see your video is from 2 years ago that you posted.

A very quick search yielded this result here. And Dana riddle commented on the thread that he's known about it for decades.
Thread 'Fragging SPS = Faster Growth???' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fragging-sps-faster-growth.516356/

Here's a paper about it from 2015.
IMG_3685.png
Lol guess who co-wrote or was quoted in, the paper you posted?

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also got this growth patterns in my SPS.
I have ATI power module 10×54w and 4 units of MP40 pumps...

OP
OP
Poseidon03

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rules out light coverage.

Yeah, my XR30 is blasting mine as can be seen in these pics. I'm also getting good growth from come acros on the bottom of the tank.

@SPS2020

PE is nothing I've had to worry about in this tank, luckily. The growth tip turning downwards in the back is what concerned me. Acros shouldn't grow downward.

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_164650397.jpg
    PXL_20230929_164650397.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20230929_164627866.jpg
    PXL_20230929_164627866.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 72

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back