SPS Growth

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the secret to growing SPS and producing good color?

I have 60g w/ 7 fish
Lighting AP700
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ca 420
Alk 9.2

Growth on my one sps, monti and birds nest is slow. I have them in medium to high flow area. Feed fish once a day.

Any suggestions from reefers who grow sps without any issues is appreciated.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the secret to growing SPS and producing good color?

I have 60g w/ 7 fish
Lighting AP700
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ca 420
Alk 9.2

Growth on my one sps, monti and birds nest is slow. I have them in medium to high flow area. Feed fish once a day.

Any suggestions from reefers who grow sps without any issues is appreciated.
Any idea what your magnesium levels are at? Also what are you running that ap700 at as far as intensity and max photoperiod

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what your magnesium levels are at? Also what are you running that ap700 at as far as intensity and max photoperiod

Magnesium is around 1250

Ap700 ramps up at 9am with high blue. By 1pm I’m at 65% most white until 5pm when I start to ramp down to high blue until 8pm

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and what is your PO4 at? Nitrates at 20 is a bit high for SPS, normally want them to be less then 5 or so IMO

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a year old. I’ve not test P04 in a couple weeks so I’m not sure right now but I can test. What is recommended?

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also trying to get the nitrates down with water changes. Should I vinegar dose to help drive nitrates down??

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a year old. I’ve not test P04 in a couple weeks so I’m not sure right now but I can test. What is recommended?

I like to keep mine below .09 that would be with a Hanna ULR Phosphrus tester. I would just bring nitrates down naturally since it's only a monti and birds nest right now they are pretty easy.
Mag is fine, Key to any SPS IMO is very stable prameters. Doesn't matter the numbers you choose really as long as it's in the excepted range just stable.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is around 1250

Ap700 ramps up at 9am with high blue. By 1pm I’m at 65% most white until 5pm when I start to ramp down to high blue until 8pm
How far off the waters surface do you have it mounted?

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does increasing the light intensity help or is that not recommended? How do you know what is a good intensity. My light sits around 9” from the top of the water and the corals are at mid tank...

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute most important thing is stability. A stable tank will always display the best growth and color.

For color, keeping up the nitrate to phosphate (redfield) ratio of 16:1 is important for growth and color. Additionally, as mentioned above magnesium is crucial. I also find feeding and dosing aminos helps with overall health.

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absolute most important thing is stability. A stable tank will always display the best growth and color.

For color, keeping up the nitrate to phosphate (redfield) ratio of 16:1 is important for growth and color. Additionally, as mentioned above magnesium is crucial. I also find feeding and dosing aminos helps with overall health.
what type of aminos do you recommend for dosing?

Back