LIGHTS 2 AI PRIME HD LED LIGHT

I found that with a slightly "dirty" tank that I get better growth

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any test kits but a couple of months ago I had the LFS test my parameters, not that I care about them, but so I could contribute to these threads.
my nitrates were 160 (I think they are closer to 120) Phosphate was 2.0 KH 10 and calcium 460.

I don't have too many SPS but I have 7 or 8 pieces, some very old. Most of my stock is LPS and gorgonians as I just like them much better. No problems yet. I change 100% of the water once a year by changing 20 gallons 4 or 5 times a year.
I am sure I can't keep the most delicate SPS with those parameters so it is good, I don't want to. :D

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the missing key to reefkeeping. There is a reason corals in the ocean grow with such low levels of nitrate/phosphate, it has to be the corals are getting nutrition from another source. Millions of gallons of water passing over them with billions of bacteria, zooplankton, and phytoplankton is something we struggle to mimic in our limited boxes of water. I think with carbon dosing and bacteria dosing this hobby is on the verge of something great. The tanks we see with amazing corals at zero nitrate/phosphate have to be compensating somewhere (bacteria?).

You have an amazing tank and would definitely consider you much further beyond the "beginner" status than you claim to be. Great job in demonstrating how excessive feeding in an established reef can exhibit amazing coral colors and nutrient control!
Thanks Maddy. That's exactly my goal, to best replicate that, which is impossible but I do the best possible with what we have. And sorry if I misled, I meant "rookie" in reference to Robthorn reefing since 1995 as I've only been reefing since 2003. [emoji4]
IMG_3552.JPG
Just my 2 Cents

55 gallon Reef
Eshopps psk 150 skimmer

TEMPERATURE 79.0
NITRATES - 30PPM
PHOSPHATE - TRACE
KH - 15 (HIGH I KNOW)
CALCIUM - 420
PH 8.3
LIGHTS 2 AI PRIME HD LED LIGHT

I found that with a slightly "dirty" tank that I get better growth
Great looking tank by the way! [emoji106]

The thread was focused on particularly SPS and low nutrients though, I didn't see a single SPS coral in your tank so not sure the point you were going for other than maybe to reaffirm that softies/LPS appreciate higher nutrients often times?

That's why I went SPS dominant actually. I got tired of pleasing one group and ticking off another group.
I don't have any test kits but a couple of months ago I had the LFS test my parameters, not that I care about them, but so I could contribute to these threads.
my nitrates were 160 (I think they are closer to 120) Phosphate was 2.0 KH 10 and calcium 460.

I don't have too many SPS but I have 7 or 8 pieces, some very old. Most of my stock is LPS and gorgonians as I just like them much better. No problems yet. I change 100% of the water once a year by changing 20 gallons 4 or 5 times a year.
I am sure I can't keep the most delicate SPS with those parameters so it is good, I don't want to. :D

Same as above to Joseph, I don't think you'll get much argument that softies, LPS, and gorgonians may appreciate higher nutrients. The discussion was centered around SPS. I'm sure montis, caps, digitatas, and stylos are fine with higher nutrients so I often see them as the exception than the norm with SPS and higher nutrients. I realize that SPS is a very broad term so not sure if OP meant acros or all SPS. I'm taking it as acros.

By all means, I'm not meaning to say either point you are Joseph are making is not valid as they are 100% valid, just maybe less on point with the specific topic of this thread is all since its focused on nutrients and SPS.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rob! Haven't been in the game as long as you though so still rookie status here comparatively. Hopefully I get better with time and experience. [emoji106]
Oh quit being modest, FT, your tank messing kicks a**!

IMO however: even though your PO4 tests low, you're are supplying your corals plenty of PO4 daily, they're just using it up. Reminds me of people who have horrible algae problems, but when they test find both NO3 and PO4 are zero, then post "but I don't have any nutrients in my tank," lol. You, however, are well aware that you're supplying your tank with nutrients. Keep up the great work!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that. LPS love high nutrients as do sponges which is why I have an abundance of them. My tank used to have much more SPS but my nitrate used to be closer to 40 rather than 140 as it is now.
Due to accidents and clown gobies spawning all over them my tank evolved to more LPS, gorgonians and sponges. But you are correct I could not keep delicate corals in my tank. These are all easy

Travous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon reef that has a phosphate reactor two canisters filters nothing special in filtration. I do a five gallon water change once a week an I don't test this tank at all and I run a 50 50 desktop light on it. Every little algae and tank looks great. This tank has been running for three years I ran it this way cuz a friend said it would never make it that long with that little of work. But it has an is one of my favorites

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I'm taking it as acros.
I agree with that. LPS love high nutrients as do sponges which is why I have an abundance of them. My tank used to have much more SPS but my nitrate used to be closer to 40 rather than 140 as it is now.
Due to accidents and clown gobies spawning all over them my tank evolved to more LPS, gorgonians and sponges. But you are correct I could not keep delicate corals in my tank. These are all easy
Good looking Staghorn acro's

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Vaughn maybe it was just the change that messed with colors and in time colors would get used to the new levels. Mine turned brown when I brought it home for a few months but my tank was only a few months old at the time.

Farmer your tank looks great.
Could be. There's so many factors involved, and so much we don't know about coral. For a creature with no brain, it's amazingly adaptable.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh quit being modest, FT, your tank messing kicks a**!

IMO however: even though your PO4 tests low, you're are supplying your corals plenty of PO4 daily, they're just using it up. Reminds me of people who have horrible algae problems, but when they test find both NO3 and PO4 are zero, then post "but I don't have any nutrients in my tank," lol. You, however, are well aware that you're supplying your tank with nutrients. Keep up the great work!
Absolutely, they get their daily phosphate bath with all my feedings and then I suck it all out of there with GFO and my large skimmer! [emoji6]

Thanks for the compliment! [emoji106]

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it a feat in itself to manage a fully mixed reef like yours versus a species-specific tank like I have. It takes much more attention to balance than a species-specific IMO.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but those are relatively an easy coral.
For some, Yes. But most would now say impossible with your tanks parameters. So Id have to say it's right on point with the topic.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some, Yes. But most would now say impossible with your tanks parameters. So Id have to say it's right on point with the topic.

Most would also say I should have enough algae to start a produce stand with those parameters.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! There is also this from MACNA 2014

Thanks!
I loved the talk in San Diego last year too! You guys should take that show on the road.

Ps That was a really cool thing you did for my friend Tapio.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back