SPS is dieing

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cal is 510 alk is 11 sps is dieing

380F7862-AEF8-4761-B1F8-F8F4C228FB44.jpeg 4BC8F88D-F888-4C6F-BD3C-E3E18DF973F5.jpeg

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cal is 510 alk is 11 sps is dieing

380F7862-AEF8-4761-B1F8-F8F4C228FB44.jpeg 4BC8F88D-F888-4C6F-BD3C-E3E18DF973F5.jpeg
Sorry for your issue. I think everyone is going to ask you for a complete and recent list of parameters.
Is this slow or fast?
Then hashtag the reefsquad and do what they say.

BTW I noticed that you have an Aptasia issue thread also -- you may want to tell the reefsquad what you have been doing to help with that; as in chemicals/ juice/ whatever.

Also, your fishes being treated with copper I believe that you wrote that in another thread... no copper added to display, right?

Good luck and water changes are always something good to do while you are waiting for answers and when you don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water change every two weeks I use to have a ai 52 I changed it to Radion g5 blue can it be that

E1DD5AB6-EE59-4DC5-84AE-CFF57F8FA4A2.jpeg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but you need to answer the questions that were asked above. We still don't have enough info.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes alk is 11 cal is 520
I typically keep mine around 7 with good results. Ideally I'd go closer to 8, just to leave some wiggle room in the case of pump failure or whatever could go wrong, but it's difficult to predictably keep up with a growing demand.

IMO it's best to try to replicate ocean water for the health of your coral. Certain parameters may contribute to one factor or another, such as possibly increasing growth rate with higher alk, but I don't think it is our of the question to cause side effects on the coral that aren't fully understood.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your:

dKH:
P04:
N03:
Mg:
Ca:
SG:
Temp:

When did you change your lights:
What is your spectrum:
What intensity:
How high are they mounted above the tank:

What size tank do you have:
What salt do you use:

When did you add the coral(s) in question:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your:

dKH:
P04:
N03:
Mg:
Ca:
SG:
Temp:

When did you change your lights:
What is your spectrum:
What intensity:
How high are they mounted above the tank:

What size tank do you have:
What salt do you use:

When did you add the coral(s) in question:

@hyeclass if you do not provide the information above and give more details other than you current dKH and calcium, you can just shut your tank down cause everything will die. You need to provide details about what you changed recently and what were your parameters prior to the lighting change.

Did you have an alk swing from 7 - 11dKH?
With the lighting change are you now running 100% blue and before you were only running 50%?
Did you by any change measure the PAR before the lighting change?
Without having any fish in the tank, do you have any NO3/PO4 in the system?

Doing water changes could just add more issues because you haven't answered some of the basic questions. For instance, if you do more water changes in panic mode and you have 0 nutrients, you are only making the situation worse.

You have to provide more details to get better assistance. Period!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your issue. I think everyone is going to ask you for a complete and recent list of parameters.
Is this slow or fast?
Then hashtag the reefsquad and do what they say.

BTW I noticed that you have an Aptasia issue thread also -- you may want to tell the reefsquad what you have been doing to help with that; as in chemicals/ juice/ whatever.

Also, your fishes being treated with copper I believe that you wrote that in another thread... no copper added to display, right?

Good luck and water changes are always something good to do while you are waiting for answers and when you don't know what else to do.

Water changes can have an adverse effect if his system lack nutrients. Totally not the answer to everything in this hobby. You have to understand what you are dealing with before you just react.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hyeclass if you do not provide the information above and give more details other than you current dKH and calcium, you can just shut your tank down cause everything will die. You need to provide details about what you changed recently and what were your parameters prior to the lighting change.

Did you have an alk swing from 7 - 11dKH?
With the lighting change are you now running 100% blue and before you were only running 50%?
Did you by any change measure the PAR before the lighting change?
Without having any fish in the tank, do you have any NO3/PO4 in the system?

Doing water changes could just add more issues because you haven't answered some of the basic questions. For instance, if you do more water changes in panic mode and you have 0 nutrients, you are only making the situation worse.

You have to provide more details to get better assistance. Period!

dKH: 11 Hanna
P04: 37. Hanna
N03: 25 selfie
Mg: don’t have the tester
Ca: 510 Hanna
SG:
Temp: 78

Since it’s fishless is it better to have salt 24

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dKH: 11 Hanna
P04: 37. Hanna
N03: 25 selfie
Mg: don’t have the tester
Ca: 510 Hanna
SG:
Temp: 78

PO4 definitely high at 0.37ppm. Your dKH at 11 is higher than most but if it's stable at 11, no need to drop it.

I'd start by getting a better handle on the nutrients first and foremost. A water change can help that but the question is how did they get that high? Lack of caring for the system? Overfeeding? Here are different parameters from LiveAquaria:

1587261825808.png

All you can do is start working toward getting a better handle on parameters by having better husbandry. Unfortunately, at the point of where some of the coral look in the picture, likely they will not make it sadly. If RTN has started, only a matter of a day or so before they completely turn white. If STN, maybe you can save some of them by fragging the live portions and seeing what happens.

What you have to ask yourself though is what got you to this point? Try to fix that before investing in more coral, specially SPS. Sucks, but we all have been in this situation at some point and just have to reflect, slow down, and learn from it.

Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
hyeclass

hyeclass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Water changes can have an adverse effect if his system lack nutrients. Totally not the answer to everything in this hobby. You have to understand what you are dealing with before you just react.

It’s depend on the sps some have die quick some are dieing slow

I rearranged my aqua scape can it be that

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back