OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this tank is superb! Very well done. So beautiful it has me thinking of a lot of questions, so here are a few. How long have these corals been growing? We're they fragments or wild/maricultured? What are your phosphate levels sitting at on average? I didn't see the dimensions of the tank and back chamber? Also, your saying that there is no other filtration other than zeolites? No refugium? Are you pumping the zeolites to keep them clean and are you supplying the tank with any carbon source?
The main thing i find that is different is the flow seems to be very low compared to most tanks. I would love to see a video with some food floating in the water so we can get an idea of how much the water is moving. Everything's growth patterns are amazing so I am guessing the water is moving better than I would think.
Again amazing job and great coral placement and selection!

Thanks for the compliments.
Some of the corals have been growing since 2013. They are 50/50 wild/maricultured I would say.

09mv by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
rzio by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

Old system view from October / December 2013

PO4=0,00 Hanna

Tank dimensions (230cm x 150cm x 60cm , back chamber 60cm x 150cm x 60cm , display part 170cm x 150 cm x 60cm).
I run zeolite reactor + ceramic media+ LR in back chamber. These ceramic balls ( 20 ltr) I keep in the DIY baskets which I shake every night ( if I remember to do it ;) ) to feed corals ( same idea like zeo reactor).

Untitled by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

I follow KZ dosing pattern : ZS 1.2ml x2/day, SP 1ml/ day, ZB 5 drops daily, ZF 5 drops weekly, CB 1 ml daily.
I plan to release short clip in October to show the whole tank.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a skimmer either on my bare bottom 17g reef. I feed my two fish rinsed mysis every other day and do a 20% water change almost each weekend.

My tank actually requires dosing of nitrates and phosphates. I also dose acropower daily.

No sump either. Just suck up detritus Durant water changes.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your argument that a reef tank can be run without a skimmer is unassailable!

In the photo "

What would you call the purple coral in the upper right? I have one similar which was given to me by a fellow reefer who named it as "Maybe some kind of millie? It's pretty fuzzy..."

~Bruce

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a skimmer either on my bare bottom 17g reef. I feed my two fish rinsed mysis every other day and do a 20% water change almost each weekend.

My tank actually requires dosing of nitrates and phosphates. I also dose acropower daily.

No sump either. Just suck up detritus Durant water changes.

Well done

Your argument that a reef tank can be run without a skimmer is unassailable!

In the photo "

What would you call the purple coral in the upper right? I have one similar which was given to me by a fellow reefer who named it as "Maybe some kind of millie? It's pretty fuzzy..."

~Bruce
You may spend your money on the skimmer but what for if you can achieve the same without having one?
The purple acropora for me looks like a acropora prostata.

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Love the abrotranoides at the top! Looks like it's about to take off, thoes things always grow a huge base first and that one has definitely done that. Thanks for sharing the pics. Any info on this maintenance tank?

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Love the abrotranoides at the top! Looks like it's about to take off, thoes things always grow a huge base first and that one has definitely done that. Thanks for sharing the pics. Any info on this maintenance tank?
Thank you.
Maintenance is strait forward. Filtration mats are replaced every 1-2 days, activated carbon is change every 30 days, zeolites are change every 8-12 weeks, every day dose of: ZS 1.2ml x2/day, SP 1ml/ day, ZB 5 drops daily, ZF 5 drops weekly, CB 1 ml daily. WC are performed every 1-2 weeks 30-70ltr, depends on my mood. :) Basically I try to follow KZ maintenance book, except I do not have to clean the skimmer :) and I dose much, much less then it is written on blue bottles.

_IGP2167 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
_IGP2167 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
_IGP2153 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
_IGP2170 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
_IGP2190 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gorgeous tank and results! Thank you for sharing. I've wanted to take my skimmer off line for a few weeks and just haven't brought myself to do it. I only have a few LPS currently but I am battling cyano after my battle with chrysophytes. Plus I'm headed out of town for a week. I don't like making any serious changes before leaving.

Thanks again for sharing! Your tank may push me over the edge to turn my skimmer off

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank and results! Thank you for sharing. I've wanted to take my skimmer off line for a few weeks and just haven't brought myself to do it. I only have a few LPS currently but I am battling cyano after my battle with chrysophytes. Plus I'm headed out of town for a week. I don't like making any serious changes before leaving.

Thanks again for sharing! Your tank may push me over the edge to turn my skimmer off

Thank you
Remember cyano in the tank is the due to biology of the tank is out of balance. Skimmer is removing a lot of good stuff from water and therefore make a room for cyano, and this might be one of the reasons you have it. When you turn off skimmer take it out of the sump, to avoid creating any dead spots.
I had cyano few months ago. I battled it using magical blue bottles recommended by KZ and within 3 days it was over, and since then I don't know what cyano looks like ;) . Biology of the tank system is the key to success, or Stability Promotes Success. A lot of times we forget about it.

Yesterday's picture.

_IGP2251 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you
Remember cyano in the tank is the due to biology of the tank is out of balance. Skimmer is removing a lot of good stuff from water and therefore make a room for cyano, and this might be one of the reasons you have it. When you turn off skimmer take it out of the sump, to avoid creating any dead spots.
I had cyano few months ago. I battled it using magical blue bottles recommended by KZ and within 3 days it was over, and since then I don't know what cyano looks like ;) . Biology of the tank system is the key to success, or Stability Promotes Success. A lot of times we forget about it.

Yesterday's picture.

_IGP2251 by Jacek Kowalski, on Flickr
Speaking of KZ...one of their cyano products is Coral Snow. Coral Snow is just calcium carbonate. So I have ordered calcium carbonate and will start dosing when I get back from my vacation. A skimmer or mechanical filtration is required to use.

Hoping it works for me.

Great picture as well. Tank looks good

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't know if CS is just calcium carbonate but combined with the AB and CC does the job. In my opinion the best way to battle cyano is to increase "good" bacteria population.

OP
OP
Jacek56

Jacek56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back