Sps lighting kessil vs ati

Jonathan Gill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 54g reefer 250 with 2 a360w. I love the shimmer but have noticed a bit of shadowing and many of my across don't pop with color(compared to radion/ai/t5) that they come from.
I got a nice deal on a 36" ATI powermodule led/t5 combo. I didn't realize how heavy it was and am having difficulty hanging the unit.
I'm wondering if I should resell the ati and get a 3rs a360w or is the ati so good that I need to find a way to hang?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about the AquaticLife hybrid fixture? That might help solve your shadowing issues and I think it doesn't weigh as much as the ATI powermodule.

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 54g reefer 250 with 2 a360w. I love the shimmer but have noticed a bit of shadowing and many of my across don't pop with color(compared to radion/ai/t5) that they come from.
I got a nice deal on a 36" ATI powermodule led/t5 combo. I didn't realize how heavy it was and am having difficulty hanging the unit.
I'm wondering if I should resell the ati and get a 3rs a360w or is the ati so good that I need to find a way to hang?

Both!!!! We have both over our tank and it’s the best lighting combo we’ve ever had.

2 360we
36” 10 bulb ATI

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Gill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about the AquaticLife hybrid fixture? That might help solve your shadowing issues and I think it doesn't weigh as much as the ATI powermodule.

IMG_20180512_064721_475.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Gill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did consider aquatic life but ended up with a great deal on the powermodule.
Issue is that it's a rental.
Fixture probably weighs 25-30 pounds.
Some folks are saying to just install toggle bolts thru the sheetrock ceiling and it will be good enough. The previous owner had them. My gut tells me to attach to a joist (2story) but they are steel bar joists and seems more complicated. Perhaps a light rail or 2x wood across - these seem kinda ugly to me and this is why I was wondering if I should just get a 3rd kessil with gooseneck and sell ati

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your ceiling dry wall? If so dry wall anchors are able to hold 20 to 35 pounds. I do have the AL fixture, which is only 12 pounds. But I used big wing drywall anchors to hang it from the ceiling. Something similar to these. And the cables that came with the light wern't long enough so I ran to walmart and got hanging cable, reused the fittings that came with the light and made my own cables.
Ceiling-Hook.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Gill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using the same. Would use 2 and each would have about 12#. Some folks think this is overloading the sheetrock.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the ATI. Best T5 fixtures IMO. Depending one the amount of bulbs you could still maybe run the Kessils on the blue channel for some extra pop. If you have a 8 or 10 bulb fixture I would go straight T5.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry missed that part.. I would still vote for the ATI. I've had my fixtures for a few years now no issues, and they grow corals like crazy.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Gill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ATI North America. What is ATIs recommendation for hanging on ceiling? I've seen a YouTube video with a toggle only. Would this be considered adequate for sheetrock ceiling?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just FYI if you decide to hang these from your ceiling, make sure you place a full size sheet over the top of your tank. You do not want sheet rock thingies falling into your tank. Have you considered, a machine shop? They can make a custom bracket per side and should be glass safe. The aquarium here where I live, has a machine shop make custom brackets. If I get a chance to visit the aquarium I can take pics. It was only like 80 dollars if memory serves me right.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI makes a hanging kit that works well. Usually comes with any new fixture I think. This is the 60" 8x80w sunpower I have hung with the hanging kit from ATI
IMG_1305.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back