Sps lighting kessil vs ati

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by Jonathan Gill, May 16, 2018 at 9:53 AM.

1. Jonathan Gill

Jonathan Gill Member

I currently have a 54g reefer 250 with 2 a360w. I love the shimmer but have noticed a bit of shadowing and many of my across don't pop with color(compared to radion/ai/t5) that they come from.
    I got a nice deal on a 36" ATI powermodule led/t5 combo. I didn't realize how heavy it was and am having difficulty hanging the unit.
    I'm wondering if I should resell the ati and get a 3rs a360w or is the ati so good that I need to find a way to hang?

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
    Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Have you thought about the AquaticLife hybrid fixture? That might help solve your shadowing issues and I think it doesn't weigh as much as the ATI powermodule.

Robin Haselden and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  3. hijinks7

hijinks7 Active Member

I second the aquaticlife hybrid. I have it over my 120g and love it.

4. Eder

Eder Active Member

Both!!!! We have both over our tank and it’s the best lighting combo we’ve ever had.

2 360we
    36” 10 bulb ATI

5. MRodrigues1991

MRodrigues1991 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

what are you're issues with hanging it exactly?

6. Jonathan Gill

Jonathan Gill Member

IMG_20180512_064721_475.jpg

7. mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev Euphyllia Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Checkout @crabs_mcjones build (pg5). He did a good job on the combo fixture. +1 on hybrid fixtures.

8. Jonathan Gill

Jonathan Gill Member

I did consider aquatic life but ended up with a great deal on the powermodule.
    Issue is that it's a rental.
    Fixture probably weighs 25-30 pounds.
    Some folks are saying to just install toggle bolts thru the sheetrock ceiling and it will be good enough. The previous owner had them. My gut tells me to attach to a joist (2story) but they are steel bar joists and seems more complicated. Perhaps a light rail or 2x wood across - these seem kinda ugly to me and this is why I was wondering if I should just get a 3rd kessil with gooseneck and sell ati

9. Reefltx

Reefltx Well-Known Member

Aesthetically, the ATI would look the best and plus it’s a par monster.

Crabs Mcjones and Jonathan Gill like this.
  10. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Is your ceiling dry wall? If so dry wall anchors are able to hold 20 to 35 pounds. I do have the AL fixture, which is only 12 pounds. But I used big wing drywall anchors to hang it from the ceiling. Something similar to these. And the cables that came with the light wern't long enough so I ran to walmart and got hanging cable, reused the fittings that came with the light and made my own cables. Ceiling-Hook.jpg

DSC reef and Jonathan Gill like this.
  11. Jonathan Gill

Jonathan Gill Member

I was thinking of using the same. Would use 2 and each would have about 12#. Some folks think this is overloading the sheetrock.

12. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

[​IMG]

Sarah24! likes this.
  13. 29bonsaireef

29bonsaireef Active Member

Stick with the ATI. Best T5 fixtures IMO. Depending one the amount of bulbs you could still maybe run the Kessils on the blue channel for some extra pop. If you have a 8 or 10 bulb fixture I would go straight T5.

14. Jonathan Gill

Jonathan Gill Member

The powermodule is the 2x75 LEDs + 4x39w hybrid model.

15. Eder

Eder Active Member

[​IMG]

Crabs Mcjones and Jonathan Gill like this.
  16. 29bonsaireef

Sorry missed that part.. I would still vote for the ATI. I've had my fixtures for a few years now no issues, and they grow corals like crazy.

Jonathan Gill likes this.
  17. Reefltx

Reefltx Well-Known Member

I have that on my 4 ft tank. 20inch deep hung 8” off the rim, at 100% I’m getting about 450-500 par on the sandbed!

Jonathan Gill likes this.
  18. Jonathan Gill

Jonathan Gill Member

@ATI North America. What is ATIs recommendation for hanging on ceiling? I've seen a YouTube video with a toggle only. Would this be considered adequate for sheetrock ceiling?

19. Sarah24!

Sarah24! Active Member

Hello,

Just FYI if you decide to hang these from your ceiling, make sure you place a full size sheet over the top of your tank. You do not want sheet rock thingies falling into your tank. Have you considered, a machine shop? They can make a custom bracket per side and should be glass safe. The aquarium here where I live, has a machine shop make custom brackets. If I get a chance to visit the aquarium I can take pics. It was only like 80 dollars if memory serves me right.

Karl M, Finatik and Jonathan Gill like this.
  20. 29bonsaireef

ATI makes a hanging kit that works well. Usually comes with any new fixture I think. This is the 60" 8x80w sunpower I have hung with the hanging kit from ATI
    IMG_1305.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted