SPS not consuming Alk

Dibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 80g tank, currently, with 14 AcroporaFrags for about 15-20 days. Colors look fine, I have 2mp40 + gyre and 8x39w ATI T5 for lighting.

I am monitoring my KH with trident and salifert. I was doing 15% water change weekly with tropic marin salt.

Also dosing power elixir from Aquaforest daily + Zeobak (once a week).

My kh does not change over the week, so I suppose that is no consume happening. KH is currently in 8.5 and does not change a lot, like it does to 8.4 and 8.7.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much,

OP
OP
D

Dibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6045.png

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank, I would say that the corals are just surviving and not in growth mode so you are not using up any KH. With sps you can have perfect water and they might stall just to get used to the tank lighting, temp and so on. The key is keeping things stable and they should start growing in due time. do you know where your tank sits with ph?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a ways off from measurable daily uptake. Patience friend. Your tanks looks great but really new. No need to dose anything at this point. Relax and ride out the uglies.

The other side of this problem is a couple dkh a day. No need to get there faster than nature gets you there on it's own. Use this time to nail down nitrate and phosphate control.

For now just keep up your testing regimine and wait to pick up changes as they come.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a ways off from measurable daily uptake. Patience friend. Your tanks looks great but really new. No need to dose anything at this point. Relax and ride out the uglies.

The other side of this problem is a couple dkh a day. No need to get there faster than nature gets you there on it's own. Use this time to nail down nitrate and phosphate control.

For now just keep up your testing regimine and wait to pick up changes as they come.
+1
All you have are frags. You will not see any alk uptake with what you have currently.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, people typically put t5 fixtures alot closer to water surface. Just enough space to get your arm in. If frags are looking good, I would bring the lights closer to water

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow down. Frags take a while till they start growing like crazy. Till they encrust the plug completely that won’t look like anything is happening. Then all of a sudden Ka boom colony’s! Don’t do anything crazy. Just ensure stability and leave it be.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned frags consume very little, once they get to colony size you will get consumption.
Something like the red Montipora:
1716730877356.jpeg

Just a suggestion but I would not be dosing:
elixir from Aquaforest daily
Based on the description that is amino acid (source of N):
1716731022417.jpeg

Unless your NO3 values is below 1ppm amino is great food source for algae and other undesirable things. Just something to watch out for.
From the pictures you have fish and they create N source that corals love.

Good luck,

OP
OP
D

Dibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you. I am testing because its trident it tests 4 times a day. No3 and po4 it is fine 2.3 and 0.06. What about water changes? Would you do it 15% weekly?

DropInTheOcean Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 80g tank, currently, with 14 AcroporaFrags for about 15-20 days. Colors look fine, I have 2mp40 + gyre and 8x39w ATI T5 for lighting.

I am monitoring my KH with trident and salifert. I was doing 15% water change weekly with tropic marin salt.

Also dosing power elixir from Aquaforest daily + Zeobak (once a week).

My kh does not change over the week, so I suppose that is no consume happening. KH is currently in 8.5 and does not change a lot, like it does to 8.4 and 8.7.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much,
When I raised my PH from 7.9 to 8.3-8.4.. my growth increased exponentially! I run a calcium reactor and prior to me raising the PH, I was dosing 15 ml/min. Now I am dosing 45 ml/min!! The only change I made was adding an “aerator “ that the ‘effluent’ from my reactor drips in to.. I added a line from outside that connects to my protein skimmer as well as the Aerator for fresh oxygen. I also started adding Kalkwasser to my ATO at full saturation. You also want to make sure you’re feeding your tank enough. Coral needs more than just trace elements to grow, they need nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates.

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank was started roughly around your start date here then you're going to have a struggle on your hands. I did the same thing out of excitement and in reality never saw progress until well after a year and a half of getting things stable and biologically balanced.

DropInTheOcean Matthew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I raised my PH from 7.9 to 8.3-8.4.. my growth increased exponentially! I run a calcium reactor and prior to me raising the PH, I was dosing 15 ml/min. Now I am dosing 45 ml/min!! The only change I made was adding an “aerator “ that the ‘effluent’ from my reactor drips in to.. I added a line from outside that connects to my protein skimmer as well as the Aerator for fresh oxygen. I also started adding Kalkwasser to my ATO at full saturation. You also want to make sure you’re feeding your tank enough. Coral needs more than just trace elements to grow, they need nutrients such as nitrates and phosphates.
IMG_1278.png

OP
OP
D

Dibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Now they are consuming about 0.7dkh every 5 days. Better than nothing!

I also noticed some coralines algae starting to grow on rocks and glass. Maybe this is a good thing.

Let's see, at least everything is looking fine, colours ok and polyps

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Now they are consuming about 0.7dkh every 5 days. Better than nothing!

I also noticed some coralines algae starting to grow on rocks and glass. Maybe this is a good thing.

Let's see, at least everything is looking fine, colours ok and polyps
Coraline is good. That is likely consuming just as much as the frags.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 80 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back