SPS pest identification POTO Flamethrower

  • Thread starter Thread starter jhart85
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jhart85

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 17, 2021
Messages
67
Reaction score
24
Location
glenmora
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what's growing at the base of this acro?
IMG_7840.jpeg
IMG_7839.jpeg
 
The acro will grow over them, and they will poke through. Repeat over and over
Has not caused actual harm for me
That’s been what I’ve witnessed as well it’s still actively growing
 
Mines survived 2 years

Short read with pics. See if this matches up with what you have. Look at my zoomed in photos of the worm feeders coming out the tips. They do this usually at night

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sps-id-please.1093352/
That’s exactly what I have, I quickly glanced the thread. I’m prolly gonna break this rock off and cut and ivermectin it when I get a chance as it’s the only acro I notice them on in my tank
 
I’d love to as well I’m afraid of in tank treatments at this point, so I may let it ride as is
Medicated fish flakes I’ve heard will kill them. I did start using them for a few weeks then stopped and I haven’t noticed the problem multiplying or continuing
 
Medicated fish flakes I’ve heard will kill them. I did start using them for a few weeks then stopped and I haven’t noticed the problem multiplying or continuing
Which medicated flakes did you use?
 
I’ve tried fluconazole flakes to kill clove polyps and they didn’t work. I had to dose dog medication with fluconazole.

You can see from the pic above that I still have the thin branches at the acro’s base growing downward. I haven’t looked for the feeders coming out at night. I assume the spionids are still alive since the branches are still growing downward.
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_1953.jpeg
 
I used these
I don’t think they would work against cloves unless in a very high concentration, these are for parasites. While they may affect cloves, that is a coral and I would think the levels would need to be quite high to be toxic to an invasive coral.


8AB7C9FE-7B40-42FA-9757-A3224209D2B1.jpeg
 
I’ve tried fluconazole flakes to kill clove polyps and they didn’t work. I had to dose dog medication with fluconazole.

You can see from the pic above that I still have the thin branches at the acro’s base growing downward. I haven’t looked for the feeders coming out at night. I assume the spionids are still alive since the branches are still growing downward.
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_1953.jpeg
Crazy question but can they be clipped and then something like aiptasia x be put over them?
 
I used these
I don’t think they would work against cloves unless in a very high concentration, these are for parasites. While they may affect cloves, that is a coral and I would think the levels would need to be quite high to be toxic to an invasive coral.


8AB7C9FE-7B40-42FA-9757-A3224209D2B1.jpeg
 
I used these
I don’t think they would work against cloves unless in a very high concentration, these are for parasites. While they may affect cloves, that is a coral and I would think the levels would need to be quite high to be toxic to an invasive coral.


8AB7C9FE-7B40-42FA-9757-A3224209D2B1.jpeg
Ok thanks
 
Crazy question but can they be clipped and then something like aiptasia x be put over them?
I ran my fingernail down the side of my fox flame and snapped off the downward branches a month or 2 ago. They just grew back downward again.

IMG_2259.jpeg
 
I ran my fingernail down the side of my fox flame and snapped off the downward branches a month or 2 ago. They just grew back downward again.

IMG_2259.jpeg
Seems there’s no defeating them completely
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new