SPS polyp extension

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS will often use their polyps more frequently at night to avoid predators who are "sleeping" and would otherwise munch on the coral......or you can say they get their energy during the day from zooxanthellae and the light, while at night they need to catch food :)

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS will often use their polyps more frequently at night to avoid predators who are "sleeping" and would otherwise munch on the coral......or you can say they get their energy during the day from zooxanthellae and the light, while at night they need to catch food :)
Excellent explanation.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this apply to LPS as well? I notice my candy cane, trumpet, and Favia all get some big extension once the lights go down. My RFAs fluff up and fully open as the light lowers as well.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this apply to LPS as well? I notice my candy cane, trumpet, and Favia all get some big extension once the lights go down. My RFAs fluff up and fully open as the light lowers as well.
Yes :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS only NEED to use their polyps for gas exchange. More PE at night and less during the day with photosynthesis happening. Some SPS can use their polyps to try and catch some food, but they probably don't catch much in captivity, but this also happens more at night in the wild. LPS and NPS have different levels of food catching than SPS do.

In the same system, frags that I put in my fuge with no fish have maxi PE whereas the ones in the display have little - they all grow the same. Don't sweat this at all. Growth and color is about a million times better indicator than PE.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS only NEED to use their polyps for gas exchange. More PE at night and less during the day with photosynthesis happening. Some SPS can use their polyps to try and catch some food, but they probably don't catch much in captivity, but this also happens more at night in the wild. LPS and NPS have different levels of food catching than SPS do.

In the same system, frags that I put in my fuge with no fish have maxi PE whereas the ones in the display have little - they all grow the same. Don't sweat this at all. Growth and color is about a million times better indicator than PE.

Could you refer an article where they show data to support that polyps are for gas exchange? Cheers

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back