Sps Polyp Extension

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nutrients and water parameters are good, and after several hours lights out (brightly lit room where your tank is doesn't count), your SPS should have excellent PE. If yes, than your tank's light is too intense for them. I have a lot SPS that lives within tidal shore lines and they don't like blinding light intensity even though they came from a 3 feet of water during low tide.
Interesting. I've never heard of this before as a possible reason for poor PE.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people disagree but flow is the most important aspect of sps , even more than light. We spend all the money on lights and hardly look at flows whereas indirect random strong flow brings out the best PE along with nutrients .
In my 30 in x 30 in x 18 in tank, am running 2 gyre 130s , 2 Tunze 6055 , 1 Tunze 6040 and a seaswirl for constant moving return water along with 2 reefbrite leds and 2 x 250 watt halides.
Have stopped all carbon and GFO and nutrients are pretty high . Definitely fighting algae but I hardly care for them as the PE is have now is insane 24 hrs .

This is just daytime .. nighttime it's as if polyps will fall off

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

Regards,
Abhishek

I agree 100% about flow being the most important when it comes to sps. I think that perception is being accepted more and more as research comes out showing how important it is.

This is just one article but there are many more.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...oral-photosynthesis-by-stimulating-co2-uptake

Remember that flow on a stony reef can be feet per second!

I am also a huge fan of feeding all corals with appropriate sized food. Since reef chilli was talked about here is an article. If monti can feed on it acro should not have trouble as montis have tiny polyps.

https://www.academia.edu/1647139/Coral_farming_effects_of_light_water_motion_and_artificial_foods

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE differences vary from species to species. I used to have excellent PE on all SPS when my light was not that bright. Now they vary so much even thou they came from the same area and depth.

WP_20170503_15_53_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20170503_15_52_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20170503_15_52_18_Pro.jpg

coltrame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some time ago I have spoken with Debora about PE, she told me it's best to keep Ca around 380mg/l , KH below 7, dose NP PRO and PRO BIOS at the day
18010545_277841065976129_1662336056607801526_n.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If nutrients and water parameters are good, and after several hours lights out (brightly lit room where your tank is doesn't count), your SPS should have excellent PE. If yes, than your tank's light is too intense for them. I have a lot SPS that lives within tidal shore lines and they don't like blinding light intensity even though they came from a 3 feet of water during low tide.

I am interested in this and wondering where you read this or where did you come up with this? I think everyones SPS has better PE when the lights are off compared to when they are on.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in this and wondering where you read this or where did you come up with this? I think everyones SPS has better PE when the lights are off compared to when they are on.

Yes, PE is way better at night as this is the time a lot of micro sizes critters came out. Corals senses food, extend their polyp out to feed. This is true even for NPS and LPS, but some photosynthesis coral doesn't bother at all (remain closed).

On intensely bright tank, some SPS will not display excellent PE, some might not show any at all. I have no idea why (not much PE possibly a form of protection or simply about maximising surface area for light catching function hence more PE or something else). I have read it in a few forums but that was several years ago and I can't recall the article. I believe several studies suggest 350 PAR and below is the best for SPS.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@codydemmel4 , this might answer some of our questions on PE

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/206/22/4041

" Crossland and Barnes (1977) claimed that polyp retraction in Acropora acuminata can be a way of avoiding light by self-shading. They showed that the light saturation level and the compensation point were 25% higher when polyps were contracted than when they were partially expanded. Similarly, when contracted, Xeniids completely stopped their oxygen evolution (Svoboda, 1978)."

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about corals that have excellent PE in the LFS, losing PE (day and night) in your tank after a week?

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's probably adjustment, more than anything else. (That, of course, is assuming the corals you already have in your tank have PE...)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back