SPS polyps retracted

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesterday, i did a coral feeding. if i remember right, everything was good after that. i dont recall seeing anything abnormal going on with corals. in fact, i recall all corals all being open for the most part. including all of my sps. but my fist sps to the tank, which is about 2 months now, this morning i see that almost the whole thing is currently retracted. i would assume that it closed because of feeling, but that was almost 24 hours ago, so i dont think thats really it. most of the frag is closed, but there is a ring around it of open polyps still, so if its being agravated by something, i would suspect all of it, unless it was from the feeding perhaps.
the logical explanation to me, is that a fish (perhaps one of my blennies) sat on it, but ive had one do that before and the polyps came back pretty quick. in fact, ive never seen the polyps retract this much, for so long. in fact, this frag has been groing quite well. the knob that was grown on this, when i got it, has doubled in height, and the frag itself didnt any polyps frowing on down the side of it, but does now. in general, the polyps on this frag extend quite a bit. in length, i would say its 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, so having them retracted completely, is not normal since the time that ive gotten this.

nothing has changed. lighting is the same, flow is the same, i didnt add or remove anything, and all other corals, including other sps are doing as good as they always have.
currently, its in a pretty moderate to high flow area (more moderate) than anything else, with par being at least 150. where its at, at the peak of the day.

ph-8
kh-10
ca-450
nitrate-10
ammonia-0
mg-1450
salinity-1.025
phosphate-.02ish

im including a photo, but to avoid messing with things too much, im not going to change the lighting, but i put a flashlight on it, so that you can get a good idea of its current state.

also, im not an expert on corals, so a name on this species would be appreciated. its blue/purple. i assume that its a montipora of some variety. since its a small frag, i dont know what the final outcome of it visually, will end up being.
20220310_101304.jpg

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im mostly curious to know if maybe these types of corals are more prone to stay closed longer while its digesting food? other thoughts will be helpful too.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to tell by that pic. To me that looks like a dead skeleton. I have never known my sps to retract after feeding.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to tell by that pic. To me that looks like a dead skeleton. I have never known my sps to retract after feeding.
ive added another picture under a white light. its definately not dead, unless something would literally go from very healthy to complete skeleton overnight, without anything else being effected. although not impossible, not likely since this still has color to it.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for anyone that runs across this, i am updating with new info on this today.
not sure what happened to this coral yesterday. as you can see, practically the entire coral retracted completely. there wasnt even a tiny bit of a polyp showing. since im practically blind, to see things better i use a magnifyer head set, and i could see that there is the skin still on it, and the polyps were there, but completely within the skeleton. toward the end of the day, maybe about 6 polyps partially came out, which to me, was a good sign. showed me that the frag wasnt dead at least.
fast forward to this morning, i kind of expected it to b just as bad, but it has changed signficantly. i would say about 97% of the polyps are extended out again. they arent quite fully extended yet. the stalks are still a little stiff, so the polyps arent flowing in the flow like they were, but it is enough of an improvement to make me worry less.

my assumption is either the direct feeding, which doesnt seem likely to me. if seen polyps shrink when they are consuming food, but nothing like this. the only thing that makes sense is that it was agravated by something, like a snail, but im still a bit sceptical on that too. at this point, i dont know, but i figured i would post this in case someone else runs into something similar

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you feed? I've had reef roids cause this with sps in the past and stopped using it.
it was seachem zooplankton if i remember right. ive used it in the past with this frag, so not sure why it did nit now, but ill skip direct feeding it from here out

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back