SPS Quarantine Distance from Frag System

  • Thread starter Thread starter nickkohrn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
5,095
Location
Lima, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently came across some pests in my aquarium that I would like to get rid of. The list includes the following:
  • Dinoflagellates (recent)
  • Pyramid snails (existing, no clams, feeding on current stock of snails)
  • Acoel flatworms (existing)
  • Acropora-eating flatworms (recent)
I was in the process of setting up a frag system before noticing the Acropora-eating flatworms last week. Someone is going to be coming to buy the Waterbox at the end of the week, so the notice of these pests have caused a challenge. Since I don’t want to transfer everything into the frag system yet, I decided that I’m going to put everything into a quarantine system for a few months so that I can treat the Acropora-eating flatworms.

This week, I will be cutting all frags from their respective plugs and tiles, leaving only healthy tissue. They will be dipped in Melafix before being glued to new tiles and transferred into the quarantine system. There, I will be treating for 4-6 months with Korallen-Zucht Flatworm Stop and Coral Booster before transferring them into the frag system, which will be finished within the next couple of months. I understand that the changes will likely lead to losses, but I am prepared for that.

I currently live in an apartment, and there is limited available space. So, I’m wondering if there is a recommended minimum distance that a coral-quarantine system should be away from the main frag system. When it comes to fish quarantine, 10’ seems to be the recommendation. However, I have not heard of such information with regard to quarantining corals. Obviously, equipment would not be shared between both systems.

Is a distance of ~5’ too short for keeping a quarantine system near a frag system?

I don’t think that I’m attempting to specifically treat and prevent parasites that can be spread via aerosol transmission, but I understand that ich may come in on hard surfaces that new corals may be attached to. Therefore, it’s possible for fish that will be in the frag system to contract ich via aerosol transmission. I don’t mind waiting to quarantine new corals for the next couple of years since we are saving to buy a house. At that point, I can set up the systems further away from each other.

To recap, I’m taking down and selling my current system, moving corals into a quarantine system for treatment, and continuing to build my frag system. After the corals have been treated for 4-6 months and show no signs of pests, they will be moved into the frag system. With this information, is my SPS-only quarantine system okay to be within ~5’ of my frag system?
 
If you were QT against Ich or Velvet I’d suggest a minimum of 10’ but for flatworms, no need. Just do not share equipment between tanks.

As far as dinoflagellates, I’m a believer that all systems have these and they are kept on check by a balanced system. I do not know how one might keep these out of a system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new