SPS questions for 12 gallon AIO system?

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers, I have started two identical tanks both are 12 gallon AIO with AI HD 16 prime fixtures, UV 5 watt, Nero 3, nano glass skimmers and cheato 9watt Innovative Marine. Both have been running since January 2021. Each has 10 lbs KP aquatics live rock with 20 lbs live sand.

I am dosing manually with RedSea Alk for my SPS and LPS tank, but noticed that the LPS tank was rising higher than the SPS, I guess the consumption was not as much for the LPS corals vs SPS. I decided to dose every other day Red Sea alk for the LPS and will dose twice a day for the SPS since the ALK was staying constant. Based on my numbers should I be dosing a calcium supplement to raise calcium levels? Should I be dosing ALK for the LPS tank? They seem not to take down the ALK as the SPS do. I have a very small volume of water and all my corals are doing well. Fighting cyano in the SPS tank but naturally, water changes and vaccum no redslime remover etc for me!

Hanna testing was done at 6:35pm, 2 hours before lights shut off:

LPS
PH 8.2
dkh 8.1
ULR Phosphate .19
LR Nitrate 5.4
Calcium 399
Salinity 1.025
Temp 77.7F

SPS
PH 8.3
dKH 7.6
ULR Phosphate .04
LR Nitrate 4.3
Calcium 373
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79.1

I mix RedSea SPS dominant with RO/DI water. I feed ReefRoids once per week, very small spot feeding with small broadcasting then turn pumps back on. Cheato grows great for LPS tank, still trying to dial it in for SPS tank. I do water change 1 per week 5 gallons which is almost half the volume of my tank, going to wait 2 weeks before I do the next water change for each tank if the values show I still have some phosphates and nitrates to acceptable values.

Each tank has 4 small gobies: Yasha, Red headed, Green stripped red cheek goby, barnacle blenny and striped goby. Feed tank frozen brine small portion from the frozen cube once per day each tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The systems will use alkalinity at different rates depending on the type of corals and coral growth, so you need to dose them as independent systems according to uptake. Same with calcium etc.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both tanks will have different dosing amounts as the coral consuption and type of coral are different. In your lps tank, you fit the range of 7.8 - 8.4, lowering it wouldnt hurt but if its consistent dont worry about it. The calcium however could be does to make it in the 400 - 450 range. That same range stands for your sps tank as well. For your sps, 7.8 -8.2 is recommended. - kali

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back