SPS Red Sea Reefer 170 set up

danfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So ive been out the hobby a little while and i want to start up a new tank. Im looking at getting a Red Sea Reefer 170.
Im looking to set up a predominantly SPS tank with some Euphillyia.

Now, my question is, im not sure if i should get an AIO or the sumped version?
Has anyone got any experience with either?

Will the equipment that comes with the AIO be suitable to support an SPS dominated tank?
I'll be looking to upgrade the light as i've read the ReefLED 90 probably wont be strong enough for the SPS requirements.

If anyone can share some knowledge id greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Dan

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Dan,

I have owned both Red Sea AIO and sump versions. I prefer the sump because it gives you many options for reef equipment/refugium and is easily accessed and hidden from main tank. The AIO is a little more challenging if you want you add equipment such as reactors,refugium etc. It’s also a little bit harder to access.

They both will handle SPS with no problem since SPS need light, flow and nutrient control which both tanks can manage. I just prefer sumps. I currently have a Red Sea max nano that grew SPS with no issues though I upgraded lighting to a G4/G5.

OP
OP
D

danfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan,

I have owned both Red Sea AIO and sump versions. I prefer the sump because it gives you many options for reef equipment/refugium and is easily accessed and hidden from main tank. The AIO is a little more challenging if you want you add equipment such as reactors,refugium etc. It’s also a little bit harder to access.

They both will handle SPS with no problem since SPS need light, flow and nutrient control which both tanks can manage. I just prefer sumps. I currently have a Red Sea max nano that grew SPS with no issues though I upgraded lighting to a G4/G5.
Thanks for the reply,
What did you think of the Red sea sump that comes with the 170? do you think it would be big enough for a roller filter? or have you gone with a custom sump?

The Radion or GHL light are the 2 im looking at in terms of light upgrades. Im hoping to get a GHL controller so at the moment im swaying more towards their own light.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
170 with sump!

19B65545-D23F-4200-BCE7-928EC275ACC9.jpeg
74BBD73C-7D49-4173-89B4-C85BEAB15A5E.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beauty. Have you routed your return through your cheato reactor?
No, Chaeto reactor takes water from mid sump and empties into return section of the sump. I eventually put my UV light after my chaeto reactor.

E9DB1779-19DD-4470-BCB0-98E9973F96FF.jpeg

OP
OP
D

danfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, Chaeto reactor takes water from mid sump and empties into return section of the sump. I eventually put my UV light after my chaeto reactor.

E9DB1779-19DD-4470-BCB0-98E9973F96FF.jpeg
What wave makers are you running on your system at the moment? Im hoping to get the MP40 but im not sure if that will be too much for a 170?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 133 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back