SPS Struggling

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling with Sps. Tank parameters are all acceptable, tank is about 6 months since start up. Have this blue green monti that took 2 months to show polyps, have this forest fire for about a month and starting to show polyps. Got this birds of paradise and it hasn’t lost its color or polyps but they are fully retracted and it has been a week. Is this just part of SPS? Dosing AFR.
(Orange lens)
IMG_3111.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg
IMG_3113.jpeg

(55 gallon)
IMG_3114.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling with Sps. Tank parameters are all acceptable, tank is about 6 months since start up. Have this blue green monti that took 2 months to show polyps, have this forest fire for about a month and starting to show polyps. Got this birds of paradise and it hasn’t lost its color or polyps but they are fully retracted and it has been a week. Is this just part of SPS? Dosing AFR.
(Orange lens)
IMG_3111.jpeg
IMG_3112.jpeg
IMG_3113.jpeg

(55 gallon)
IMG_3114.jpeg
Something that not everyone thinks about (you may have so forgive me if you have) is that SPS love flow and without tons of flow polyps do not fully extend if at all. What’s your light schedule like? Many frags on frag racks do not get the required PAR as well.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that not everyone thinks about (you may have so forgive me if you have) is that SPS love flow and without tons of flow polyps do not fully extend if at all. What’s your light schedule like? Many frags on frag racks do not get the required PAR as well.
Well, I don't have a par meter but my rocks are all on the bottom of the tank so the frag rack is up in the current and closer to the lights. The light schedule is 10hrs peak in the morning for 3 hours then gradual ramp down for the rest of the day using the noopsyche puck types.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I don't have a par meter but my rocks are all on the bottom of the tank so the frag rack is up in the current and closer to the lights. The light schedule is 10hrs peak in the morning for 3 hours then gradual ramp down for the rest of the day using the noopsyche puck types.
To me they look pretty healthy to be honest. Polyp extension is not necessarily the make it or break it deal with SPS.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the tips and pointers. Have a local reefer selling 5in colonys of easy sps like milka stylo for example and I want to get one but not sure if my tank is ready. But 40 bucks for a large softball colony....

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the tips and pointers. Have a local reefer selling 5in colonys of easy sps like milka stylo for example and I want to get one but not sure if my tank is ready. But 40 bucks for a large softball colony....
That’s a pretty awesome deal but I will say that frags tend to do much better in young tanks than colonies do. It might work out, not saying it wouldn’t but degas are considerably hardier than colonies.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty awesome deal but I will say that frags tend to do much better in young tanks than colonies do. It might work out, not saying it wouldn’t but degas are considerably hardier than colonies.
Well, its 40 bucks and an hour 10 min drive so I will hold off and hope there is a killer deal in the past...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back